Taswegian in Victoria. What are the must ride trails?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Well the missus has deciced to do a supprise Victorian tour. She has promised that there will be a few ride destinations thrown in, somewhere for hereself and a couple of places for the kids as we tour around. We leave on the Spirit of Tasmania Friday night so I'll fill you guys in when I get back.

dunndog

Eats Squid
This seems unnecessarily unhelpful???

I cant find a map.

Ah school holidays and forums hey
Yeah, it wasn't actually aimed at the op, it was in response to an equally unhelpful response earlier that you probably missed.. Are you the said Mrs??
Anyhow, if you want info regarding Lake mountain they may or may not have updated info on their website, if not give them a call.. this may be the best option regardless if the descent is fairly new, I'd suggest any new trail works wouldn't be up to date on their website. Better info from those on the mountain. You are also within striking distance of Buxton and Warburton there, so hit the google machine for those areas too. Recommended.
hope that is a little less unhelpful! :kiss:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Please elaborate on the Lake Mountain descent?

Cant find a map, is this the trail going to Marysville?
Well the missus has deciced to do a supprise Victorian tour. She has promised that there will be a few ride destinations thrown in, somewhere for hereself and a couple of places for the kids as we tour around. We leave on the Spirit of Tasmania Friday night so I'll fill you guys in when I get back.
Check in with Knuckles mate because duh, do you even map?
Seems nobody can even map...........http://lakemountainresort.com.au/maps

If only there was some futuristic tool, lets call it "internet" for arguments sake, that made things like maps avaliable to the public. Oh well, we can dream can't we?

:llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama:

* llamas added to indicate lack of malicious intent to any statements made in post.

and 'cause they're awesome

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Why not give this a whirl? looks like a bit of fun, Megavalanche style........http://www.fallscreek.com.au/mckayos

Shame i have to spend that weekend with my annoying family. Bastards!

Emigna

Squid
Well thanks for the help.

I see on the map it says the LM2M trail is "proposed"?

Is the map old and the trail complete?

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Well thanks for the help.

I see on the map it says the LM2M trail is "proposed"?

Is the map old and the trail complete?

I was the first to mention Lake Mountain, here is a little clarification.

The new descent is in three parts. First part is a reworking of the old descent from Sherlock Lookout to Snowy Hill carpark. You then climb to Snowy Hill which is followed by an awesome new descent to Arnold Gap (but pretty raw, not nearly as groomed as the BMX track on steroids that is the Epic Descent. Needs a a season or 2 of riding to really bed-in properly). The trail from this point is pretty raw but definitely ridable, climb Mt Arnold then descend to the Entrance Station. Its then an easy spin on the bitumen back to the top. Or you skip the last part and spin back up on the road from Arnold Gap and have a second crack at the first two sections of the descent. Note that they are solid climbs between each of the three descent sections.

A good ride plan would be park at Arnold Gap or the Entrance Station, spin up the road to Snowy Hill carpark, turn left onto main loop, ride full loop then climb Snowy Hill and descend to Arnold Gap. Depending where you parked and how the legs are feeling, you could do repeats of just the Arnolds Gap descent, the full descent or what ever you feel like.

Being very soon after the winter season I would expect a lot of branches, bark etc on the trail so take care.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I believe this descent was done by Dirt Art - the guys from Tassie.

P.P.S. Lake Mtn is very close to Buxton. Stay the night in Marysville and do one each day. Buxton is less technical, flowy, bags of fun. Lake Mtn is rocky in parts, more technical, has a real "alpine trails" feel, much more climbing than Buxton.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I was the first to mention Lake Mountain, here is a little clarification.

The new descent is in three parts. First part is a reworking of the old descent from Sherlock Lookout to Snowy Hill carpark. You then climb to Snowy Hill which is followed by an awesome new descent to Arnold Gap (but pretty raw, not nearly as groomed as the BMX track on steroids that is the Epic Descent. Needs a a season or 2 of riding to really bed-in properly). The trail from this point is pretty raw but definitely ridable, climb Mt Arnold then descend to the Entrance Station. Its then an easy spin on the bitumen back to the top. Or you skip the last part and spin back up on the road from Arnold Gap and have a second crack at the first two sections of the descent. Note that they are solid climbs between each of the three descent sections.

A good ride plan would be park at Arnold Gap or the Entrance Station, spin up the road to Snowy Hill carpark, turn left onto main loop, ride full loop then climb Snowy Hill and descend to Arnold Gap. Depending where you parked and how the legs are feeling, you could do repeats of just the Arnolds Gap descent, the full descent or what ever you feel like.

Being very soon after the winter season I would expect a lot of branches, bark etc on the trail so take care.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I believe this descent was done by Dirt Art - the guys from Tassie.

P.P.S. Lake Mtn is very close to Buxton. Stay the night in Marysville and do one each day. Buxton is less technical, flowy, bags of fun. Lake Mtn is rocky in parts, more technical, has a real "alpine trails" feel, much more climbing than Buxton.
There is also this fire road descent all the way to Marysville, if you don't mind the lack of single trail. Very scenic though. http://mytrails.com.au/trails.php?tid=1001119

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Thanks guys.
We spent our first night in Forrest so spend the next day riding about 60km of their trails. A little technical for my liking on the north side but the ones close to town flowed well and gave you that feeling of speed. Nice trails and well marked with a good trail map. Stayed in Daylesford last night where the missus is going for "treatment" and might head up to Castlemaine as they seem to have some good trail there, then head east to see what we find.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Walmer Forrest has some bonza trails just out of castlemaine, but if you could get the boss to pick you up in castlemaine, I'd recommend doing Daylesford to Castlemaine via the Dry Diggings. There's some nice single track in there and the water race into castlemaine is a blast. There's also the Pineys, but it's fairly technical and better to tag along with someone with local knowledge.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'd recommend doing Daylesford to Castlemaine via the Dry Diggings. There's some nice single track in there and the water race into castlemaine is a blast. There's also the Pineys, but it's fairly technical and better to tag along with someone with local knowledge.
+1 If you're in Daylesford and heading to Castlemaine anyway it'd be a crime to not ride there via the Dry Diggings track.