VIC State XC Championships

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
the lack of response suggests not much is happening on that front :(
XCO is my fav. type of racing but at Geelong our dance card is full.
Yowie
Gazebo 3 x 3 hour races
Interwinter
VES 6 hour
No frills winter series 7 races
No frills summer 10 races
Schools champs

24 races that is one almost every 2nd week

plus

Social rides
Dirt squirts
Young Guns

It would be great if someone else to got it happening.

DD could you organise it for smiths gully? or Buxton would be a great XCO track. there are so many great venues now around Vic.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Rohan and myself have had a few discussions about a 2014 series and 2013 and/or 2014 XCO champs event, however he's been pretty busy organising newer, bigger things for his business, and a few things have fallen through on my side getting some of the communications that would have been necessary. John Harvey had some very good ideas, so I think if some of us actually put some hard work in it could get off the ground. Having said that, noone else put their hand up to help when it's been mentioned to others, so to be totally honest it's in a state where there is quite simply a lack of willing, dedicated people to ensure it happens.

The reality of one of the bigger problems is that land managers are certainly cracking down on event permits during fire season(s) which limits access to some venues, but also that in that first part of the year all the way through to about May 2014, your calendar is just about completely packed at this point. Having said that however, good and workable venues were discussed. While ideally you'd want XCO to lead in to the National Series and provide a stepping block for Junior and Elite Development, there simply may not be suitable free weekends now given the state of the calendar.

I'd rather not float details of ideas that have been bounced around on a public forum, and I think the plans we've discussed would be really good, workable, and an improvement on the issues that have been cuasing club and volunteer burnout - but if there are enough dedicated individuals really want to work to get it going, I'm sure we're happy to talk.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Rohan and myself have had a few discussions about a 2014 series and 2013 and/or 2014 XCO champs event, however he's been pretty busy organising newer, bigger things for his business, and a few things have fallen through on my side getting some of the communications that would have been necessary. John Harvey had some very good ideas, so I think if some of us actually put some hard work in it could get off the ground. Having said that, noone else put their hand up to help when it's been mentioned to others, so to be totally honest it's in a state where there is quite simply a lack of willing, dedicated people to ensure it happens.
So based on that there are no plans for either a State Championship race in 2013 or a State Series in 2014. Is that right?

I'd really like to understand how this works.

Has someone got a minute to explain how the management of mtb racing happens in Victoria? What's the peak state body, how do the clubs get involved, how is the calendar planned, how do events get sanctioned and what does that mean?

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
XCO is my fav. type of racing but at Geelong our dance card is full.

It would be great if someone else to got it happening.

DD could you organise it for smiths gully? or Buxton would be a great XCO track. there are so many great venues now around Vic.
I think I could excited by the prospect of running the State Champs in the Studley Park / Dights Falls precinct. If we got permission to block the boulevard from the boatshed entrance to Walmer St like they do for TTs there would be access to plenty of single and double track to run a really spectacular and challenging course with fantastic spectator access and facilities.

It would probably get some media coverage being only a few kms from the city and I'm sure some sponsors would come on board for an inner city event. So close to the city would help with the drumming up of volunteers to help run the day.

I really have no idea of what would be involved though :-(

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
good idea.

I think I could excited by the prospect of running the State Champs in the Studley Park / Dights Falls precinct. If we got permission to block the boulevard from the boatshed entrance to Walmer St like they do for TTs there would be access to plenty of single and double track to run a really spectacular and challenging course with fantastic spectator access and facilities.

It would probably get some media coverage being only a few kms from the city and I'm sure some sponsors would come on board for an inner city event. So close to the city would help with the drumming up of volunteers to help run the day.

I really have no idea of what would be involved though :-(
wow that would be a great venue.
i would start by contacting the club you are in and running it by them.
You would need a permit from parks or who ever owns the land and due to the land not being an approved Mt bike Park that could be a major issue.

but there are lots of other venues