SRAM's 2004 Trigger Shifters

Ty

Eats Squid
SRAM trigger shifters for 2004

SRAM has given the shifters a complete re-engineer and they're a lot better than those early ones.SRAM's trigger shifters are different in action to Shimano's ones. And while SRAM claim that it's a more ergonomic way of shifting with triggers, its critics will point out that it's just a way of getting around Shimano's trigger shifter patent. However, we're happy to back SRAM's claim that it's an ergonomic way of shifting.
Here's how it works.

The thumb shifter works like a regular shifter (We guess that it's hard to patent a thumbshifter's action...) but the 'finger' trigger moves vertically towards the bar rather than horizontally. Its paddle shape means that you can shift it easily with your thumb too. This is great in practice bacause you don't need to move your grip on the bars (or the brake levers) at all to shift into a harder/faster gear. This is something that's not that easy with Shimano's Rapidfire levers nor their new Dual Control brake/gear shifters.

And, unlike most 2004 gear, the triggers will be available (in SRAM and Shimano compatible forms) in the shops by June.

SRAM also have an X-7 rear mech too. A more mass produced version of their good looking X-O mech.

http://www.singletrackworld.com

pics inside

Ty

Eats Squid
SRAM trigger shifters and new rear mech

*how crazy is that shifter window, the action still confuses me somewhat.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
I think try as the might to have a trigger shifter not look like shimanos offering it looks pretty damn much the same.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So with the shifting, you push forward with your thumb just like the shimanos to go to a lower gear, to go to a higher gear, You can use your thumb to pull the same lever up towards the bar? If so.. I think I have finally found my dream shifter...

belly_up

Likes Dirt
nah, there's two levers, but you use your thumb to actuate both of them, push forward to go one way, and lift the other lever up towards the bar to go the other way.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
These shifters look very similar to the original Shimano rapidfire shifters back in the early 90s. The action is obviously different but they look the same. Long live 200GS groupsets!!!