Sandy uphill singletrack help (XC)

Gronk

Likes Dirt
I have been working on a stretch of single track to get to the top of my favourite trail as the main upward trail is way over-ridden and eroded. Trouble is the terrain is quite sandy and as far as I can tell it's not practical to just dig down until I strike clay as it would just turn into one long trench.

The other problem is this trail is atleast 2km in from the road so hauling huge NS bridges may not be a viable answer either. I also don't really feel right about dumping bags of cement there either.

What I was wondering though is would putting something like a long, thin roll of chicken wire (about 30ish cm wide) down and pegging it into the ground work? Or would it simply be pushed into the sand over time and be useless?

Any thoughts and advice is much appreciated, thanks.

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Sandy singletrack

The cheap wooden paletts (not the CHEP the non returnable ones) they are relatively light and then put wire over them.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
What about wooden steps? Use the local fallen logs to build steps, which are soundly pegged into the ground. Make the steps about a bike and half length so you don't loose too much momentum hopping up.

Fill the steps with local rocks and sand to build up the trail surface. Because it is on a slope the logs will catch and depositing the surface material (sand).

Gronk

Likes Dirt
Ah, beauty, thanks guys, I guess I just wasn't thinking laterally enough, but they are both good ideas.... will definitely look into it.

Gronk

Likes Dirt
Carpet

Unfortunately this IS the flattest option. I'm building this trail as an alternate means to the top of another over-ridden and eroded beyond rideable trail. The main trail is a multi-use track being shared by mtbrs, walkers and motorbikers. Now while i'm convinced it's the motos who are destroying it, it's not like we can stop their using it... so hence an alternate, mtb friendly path might be the way to go.

Carpet isn't a bad suggestion, but I'm just wondering how it'd stand up to the rigours of use and the elements. But on the flip side it would be the easiest to transport up there and install! hmmmm if this rain ever stops I'll have to go up and do some more inspection.

Thanks.