Rischbieth runs away with downhill win

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
In a surprising victory on Sunday local downhill rider Will Rischbieth (#23 Adelaide) beat last year’s national series winner, Amiel Cavalier (#1 Wollongong) by one second. Recording a course record of 2 min 31.02 sec. By winning the first round of the National Series, Rischbieth leads the rankings. The 17 year old blasted out of the start and made up time in the middle section of the course at Eagle Mountain Bike Park in Adelaide

After heavy rain overnight the course had dried out for the final run but it did not deter Rischbieth who qualified fastest on the first run with a respectable 2:36.18.

“I didn’t know I was going to qualify that good,” he admitted. “But after my practice run in the morning in the mud I knew I had to step it up a bit.”

Rischbieth who rides for the same team as Cavalier has high regard for the 2005 World Junior Champion who has now turned professional.

“To Amiel’s credit,” he said, “he’s been overseas and been training pretty hard.”

Having ridden the track on a regular basis, Rischbieth did agree that was an advantage on the day. “I do know the track pretty well.” he admitted.

The elation of winning on his home track was made more precious by the local support he received by hundreds of spectators lining the course.

“It was awesome,” he said, “all my mates were on the side of the track all the way down.”

Cavalier also praised the talented youngster.

“I’m pretty happy to be that close to Will here. I was a bit scared he was going to destroy the field!”

Third was Tim Eaton (#4 Canberra) with a time of 2.34.32. Alex Swann (#50 Victoria) made fourth while fifth place went to Adelaide favourite, Craig Yates (#6).

The unluckiest rider of the day was Ricky Boyer who lost grip on the track and failed to qualify for the final run.

Cavalier’s riding partner, Brad Benedict from California placed sixth. The 21 year old on the verge of becoming a professional rider next season rode a 2:36.1.

Downhill racing was fast and furious in the elite women’s field with Sarah Booth qualifying fastest but the win was taken by Claire Whiteman (Canberra). Second was Newcastle’s Emma McNaughton with last year’s series winner, Caroline Buchanan (Canberra), in third.

Booth mad it into fourth while South Australian state champion, Jane Rutter claimed fifth.

Earlier in the day the Short Course Cross Country racing was tight and muddy with the lead changing several times in the women’s race. Zoe King (Manly, NSW) and yesterday’s winner Rowena Fry (Launceston, TAS) fought it out over the 20 minute race. A surge in the final laps was enough to secure Fry her second win of the weekend. King claimed second with Katherine O’Shea (Port Melbourne, VIC) in third.

The elite men’s race saw Dylan Cooper (Canberra, ACT) improve his third placing yesterday as he took the win convincingly. Second was Ben Mather (Launceston,TAS) and third was Neil Van der Ploeg (Tawonga, VIC).

Round 2 of the National Mountain Bike Series will be held on the Gold Coast on the 23-25 November.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia