rear travel

svenk

Likes Bikes
hey guys,

i was just wondering how i could figure out how much rear wheel travel i have.

i just got a new shock, slightly larger than the last one (longer) and we were figuring out (the dude at the shop and i ) if i would be gaining any more rear wheel travel.

any ideas?

thanks

S.

ex offender
What sort of frame is it, and is the difference in length ONLY in eye-to-eye, or have you got a longer stroke?

belly_up

Likes Dirt
pull the spring off and measure the distance between the underside of the seat and the wheel at full extension and full compression. That assumes that the shock is using all it's stroke and isn't becoming spring bound at full compression (which it shouldn't be, but you never know). Like Socket said, if you have just changed the eye to eye length and not the stroke, then you'll just raise the bottom bracket and steepen the head angle a bit (if the frame can handle further extension). If you've changed the stroke length and not the eye to eye distance, then you will gain some travel, (assuming the frame will handle more travel, ie, the frame members don't contact each other at full compression). If you have changed both the eye to eye distance and the stoke length, then you'll get a bit of both.

svenk

Likes Bikes
ah shit i just check this after i have cleaned and rebuilt everything :D
ill give it a go in a few.

thanks guys

svenk

Likes Bikes
kool.. ive gained .5 of an inch :D

the shock is longer, but the stroke is only slightly longer, like 5mm