rear travel

AirDog

Likes Dirt
how do i measure exactly how much rear travel i have ?

am just curious because the distance available for movement dosn't look enough for the travel

Brett

Likes Dirt
Take the spring off the shock. you'll then be able to fully compress the suspension and measure how much travel you're getting.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
measure the distance between the axle and your saddle at full extension then at full compression. (without the spring). simplest way.. or have you bike lying on the ground with newspaper and draw the axle path if you get my drift... Someone might know the real way of doing it...

CHEWY

Eats Squid
it has got 5" hamish, its got a 2" stroke and a 2.5 linkage ratio = 5"...... or was the shock 1.75"?

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best way i have found is to do what kalem said only do it with your bike upside down(adjust your seat so that when it's upside down the wheels are kinda level) and put the paper or cardboard against a wall. This way you have very little chance of your bike moving while compressing the suspension. A cable tie will hold a pen/pencil to your frame pretty well.

Alternativly, measure up your frame and put the info into that Linkage program.

Rik

logged out
Hang the bike in a stand, measure where the rear axle is, then remove the shock and raise the swingarm, keeping in mind how much travel the shock has. Now measure the height of the axle again, and this is your VERTICAL rear wheel travel.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rik said:
Hang the bike in a stand, measure where the rear axle is, then remove the shock and raise the swingarm, keeping in mind how much travel the shock has. Now measure the height of the axle again, and this is your VERTICAL rear wheel travel.
have fun........it's very hard to compress the bump rubber when doing it this way. Well it is in my experience anyway.

Rik

logged out
You know what's really good for compressing things... toe straps! just use them to help you compress the bumper, then when you release it, the spring won't expand much. I use toe straps when pulling apart my forks, it really works well.