AM Pivot Firebird

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like a fast track. The dw link was eating up that rock armouring!

How big is the jump your .are "chickened out" on?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like a fast track. The dw link was eating up that rock armouring!

How big is the jump your .are "chickened out" on?
It's pretty fast in spots but also a bit peddly.

The jump my mate missed would be about 18 foot I think. But has a mellow launch so you really need to crank into it out of the berm and give it a good yank.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Fork a little soft? Looks to be spending a lot of it's time deep in the stroke so could be slowing you down in those rock gardens.

That arse cam is good.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fork a little soft? Looks to be spending a lot of it's time deep in the stroke so could be slowing you down in those rock gardens.

That arse cam is good.
Could probably do with a little more. The rear works so well I softened the front to try and match. Went a bit overboard lol.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's pretty fast in spots but also a bit peddly.

The jump my mate missed would be about 18 foot I think. But has a mellow launch so you really need to crank into it out of the berm and give it a good yank.
Nice. There is a step down here about 6m long real close to a corner. You have to come out mashing the pedals to send it. Which then leads into a double of a similar size over a pit of doom. The thrill of banging both together is quite high. Actually featured in the latest moimoitv episode. It looks embarrassingly easy in said episode.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Suspension settings are well and truly sorted now. Set sag to Pivots recommendations and then also consulted the Pivot manual for shock and fork settings. Was going to fiddle from there, bit rides too nice as is.

Moved back from a DD rear and exo+ front tyre combo to Maxxis DHF Exo front and rear, which dumped almost 400g off the bike.
And also put on some Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35.
For a big travel machine it now weighs 14.4kg, by my scales with Pedals. Exactly the same as my Giant Trance.

Have been having a ball on this thing the last few weeks at my local Silvan trails. It absolutely eats up fast rough trails, but is still light and poppy for the slower technical ones.
Have found it a smidge long on steep climbs, so also have a 40mm ethirteen stem on the way.

Screenshot_20230902_134619_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230806_180645_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230806_181041_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This bike is still showing itself to be the ultimate all-rounder, despite it being an absolute monster in the rough.

I changed out to some lighter 2.5 Maxxis DHF exo front and rear in preparation for a Fox Superflow event, which dropped weight back to 14.4kg.

Also wasn't getting along with the oval chain-ring, so fitted up a fresh XT Cassette, chain and 30T ring.

The week before the race, the Fox X2 had a damper failure, so decided to put a fresh 2023 model on.
Screenshot_20231103_222447_Gallery.jpg

This setup was great and helped me lock in a podium position at the Superflow. Grabbing 2nd in Masters.
RTVSILSF23_6279.jpg
RTVSILSF23_6389.jpg

The M8000 crankset had been very banged up from the oldschool YouYangs shuttle trailer and general use. So with some time off the bike recently I decided to give them a makeover.

Starting with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, I wet sanded all the black anodising off. Came off surprisingly easy but was very fiddly around the Spider. I wrapped the paper around a butter knife to get down into the nooks and crannies.

From there I moved onto 600 grit and repeated the process before finishing on 1200 grit using the same wet sanding method.

Final finishing was then using an automotive cut and polished which brought out the mirror finish.
I also had been finding the 30T ring a little slow for this bikes downhill performance, so chucked a 32T on during the makeover.

Took a bit of time, but very happy with the result.

Screenshot_20231208_204503_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231209_102647_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231209_163514_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Long term fan. I haven't ridden the new vpp by SC but could never decide whether their older vpp or the dw were my favourite virtual pivot design. Actually I'd have to ride another Canfield before making that call. Maestro definitely is not on the short list.

I have not purchased a new pivot, though my last one was the funniest bike ever.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New flat pedal day. Picked up some Crankbrothers Stamp 3 magnesium for this thing. Interested to see how the large platform goes, hopefully not too many pedal strikes.
Screenshot_20240403_174145_Gallery.jpg

Latest ride report:
Super happy with this things all round performance, while an enduro bike its showing itself to be an awesome trail bike with its current lighter spec lol. Has recently put in a few 4.5hr rides including Lake Mountain up & down and a 38km, 1450m Silvan ride.
Screenshot_20240403_175230_Gallery.jpg

And a bling pic I took of it a little while back, just because haha.
Long live 27.5!!
Screenshot_20240105_220217_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: