Painting Over Chrome

chubbywubby

Likes Bikes
I Have a chrome frame, i wish to paint over it.
I googled it, but everyone is saying that you have to get the chrome taken off professionally?
And if is this isnt the case, do you just do the usual painting procedure? (Sand Paper, Primer Paint etc)

Cheers

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I Have a chrome frame, i wish to paint over it.
I googled it, but everyone is saying that you have to get the chrome taken off professionally?
And if is this isnt the case, do you just do the usual painting procedure? (Sand Paper, Primer Paint etc)

Cheers
just put a coloured candy over the top of it? would look awesome.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
if i was to use this etch shit, do i just do sand the chrome back to raw, then add this primer than paint over?
It depends on the product and what you are coating it with which is why I suggested google. I have done old chrome bumper bars (70s VW beetle) and for that we gave it a scratch up with some wet and dry before using the etch primer, the recommended primer and then two pack on top. Bear in mind some of these things have a maximum time between etch prime and prime or you have to re-etch. Another time a mate was de-chroming trim on his car and we just used steel wool and then etch primer and flat black. As per the paint requirements. Neither of these did anything other than scuff the chrome plating up so the etch had a bit more to stick to.

It all depends on what you want to coat it with and what sort of finish you are after. You could get the chrome stripped off with a chemical bath or whip blast the surface. The bumper bar I mentioned above was for a 'show ish' car and the bar was fine and the paint adhered well.

chubbywubby

Likes Bikes
It depends on the product and what you are coating it with which is why I suggested google. I have done old chrome bumper bars (70s VW beetle) and for that we gave it a scratch up with some wet and dry before using the etch primer, the recommended primer and then two pack on top. Bear in mind some of these things have a maximum time between etch prime and prime or you have to re-etch. Another time a mate was de-chroming trim on his car and we just used steel wool and then etch primer and flat black. As per the paint requirements. Neither of these did anything other than scuff the chrome plating up so the etch had a bit more to stick to.

It all depends on what you want to coat it with and what sort of finish you are after. You could get the chrome stripped off with a chemical bath or whip blast the surface. The bumper bar I mentioned above was for a 'show ish' car and the bar was fine and the paint adhered well.
ah thanks alot mate, i think i might get it sand blasted