Opening of the grove dirt jumps tomorrow!!!!!

Bikenerd

cunning linguist
OPENING OF "THE GROVE" DIRT JUMP FACILITY IN SEAFORTH, NSW.

The Opening of the Grove Bike Park is planned for 3.30pm on Thursday 16th June at the bike park in Koobilya Street Seaforth.

This opening of this facility has been a long time coming and this next Thursday, Manly Council will finally be unveiling it to the public. All are welcome to attend, there is even a bbq apparently.

While the final shaping of the jumps is not perfect, a lot of time, hard work and money has gone into the large obstacle in getting the facility into a suitable state for opening.

The council has pledged to work with a user group to amend the final shape of the jumps over time so bear this in mind if you attend. They aren't perfect but they will be one day. At least the drainage will stop them from washing away now.

The Grove Bike Park Opening Invite_Page_1.jpgThe Grove Bike Park Opening Invite_Page_2.jpg

potato

Likes Dirt
if only we had something like that in melb :(
ahwell, hopefully someone uploads some rad shots!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I'm so keen for this, must we rsvp? If it's not raining some street riding in the city might be in order :rolleyes:

EDIT: Wait, are we allowed to ride tomorrow at all? Just thought that there could be a small chance it's only the opening?

Last edited:

Bikenerd

cunning linguist
No need to RSVP, just turn up.

Yes it will push through even if it is raining although the forecast is for light infrequent showers so it should be fine.

Yes you can ride it if the riding surface is not too damp.

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it was worth it

Getting everyone to goto the meetings was well worth it then. Your not kidding it's been a long time coming. So happy for Dave and the whole crew to finally get it up and running again, I"m assuming that photo in the poster is the new Grove. If so it looks so 'open', loving the grass sides. Top work. Another win for the bicyclers

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went up there and had a look on Saturday afternoon, The jumps were amazingly dry for the amount of rain that we had had over the past week,
Only the first berm was a bit soft which made you lose a-lot of speed, but once it dries out it will be fun fun fun.

The drains and surrounding grass was boggy and soft, so they seem to be doing their job at taking the moisture away from the jumps.

The best thing is that it is only a 15min ride from the manly ferry. 20mins if your on a BMX :)

nice work guys.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Another win for the bicyclers
Hardly.

Manly Council stole what the Grove was and replaced it with a recreational facility that's nowhere near the physical standard of the original Grove. It took them all of 3 days to bulldoze 8+ years of hard work, and then 3 years of "consultation" to finalise and build the current version, and i'm doubting you'll be seeing Dave (or anyone who had a hand in the original version for that matter) riding there anymore. It's has nowhere near the feel or vibe the original Grove had, and is anything but a win for the people who once enjoyed riding it.

BKelly

teh fast
The guys with petrol powered RC cars were loving it on Sunday!

I was surprised there were no other riders out there when I was there (around lunchtime), thought it would have been packed?

It was pretty soft in some areas especially the second berm and some of the jumps were way too hard to get speed for partly because it was soft/sandy but it seemed that some of the berms/jumps did not line up properly and needed to be "tweaked" a little.

I think with the jumps being almost 3 meters wide it would have been good to have one side of the jumps "built up" (more like a dirt jump) to cater for a wider range of riders as I could see people with good jumping skills getting bored pretty quick as it's all pretty tame.

It will however be a lot better once it all hardens and packs in.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Hardly.

Manly Council stole what the Grove was and replaced it with a recreational facility that's nowhere near the physical standard of the original Grove. It took them all of 3 days to bulldoze 8+ years of hard work, and then 3 years of "consultation" to finalise and build the current version, and i'm doubting you'll be seeing Dave (or anyone who had a hand in the original version for that matter) riding there anymore. It's has nowhere near the feel or vibe the original Grove had, and is anything but a win for the people who once enjoyed riding it.
I don't think anyone will argue the point that what was taken away is a great loss, but the win here is that we have somewhere to refer to when trying to get more DJ or possibly even DH facilities. Most councils worry about ongoing effort and if it will cause community problems etc. A place like this can prove that it doesn't and more will hopefully come later...

So still a win, but I see your point...

Loving the grass though, looks so prime! :)

tadders

Likes Dirt
the place is great! if u bring a broom and brush away the fine layer of slippery gravel...the area is well landscaped, looks good