Newbie dirt jumps

Cave001

Likes Bikes
ye sounds like a good plan now just to find the time...dam winter can't wait for longer days.

Is Wylde the only jump track like that in sydney region? Is there one at Homebush or is that just a bmx track

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Poodle-the jumps are not large. I've got photos but I'm using the phone for this post. The spacing is really terrible on them. The first table in the table line is the largest. Also at the end of the line, you end up higher than the starting ramp. Does that seem right to you? Depending on how far you're traveling, different places are more worth while. Like The Grove or Oxy.

The guys who revamped these jumps built the pile of dung that is Montview. I have zero good things to say about the new works at Wylde.

I've seen, photographed, and filmed very good riders ride at Wylde. When I say they're rubbish, it's from many people's perspective.

There is a clapped out 4x track at Homebush. It's very different to jumps. The jumps are much harder due to years of neglect but the spacing is good. It also teaches you how to ride berms to jumps and pumps. Seriously no council built trail ever has those features but every rider built one does.

It is a damn shame the parkland didn't take the opportunity to built fantastic entry level jumps. They had the ability to be the only facility in the area that everyone wanted to ride.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I think the thing is to not turn up expecting imaculate trails, nor is it really worth it as experienced djers to turn up and expect to session for a day, but as a place to learn he to jump, and deal with pumping speed from downramps its pretty good. The pump track is abit of fun too.

Its not on the same level as oxy (better than the old grove imo, haven't ridden it since some guys have been working on it recently though), redhill etc but I wouldn't be comfortable taking someone whose new to those places.

As some jumps to hit after a couple of xc loops it's pretty good. And my girly quite likes hoonin around the place on my bmx so as for that purpose its pretty mint. Nice tables to sit around, bike wash bays etc. to make a dedicated dj day though its abit crappy yeah, but not rubbish.

The awkwardness of the place means you have to work harder to clear the sets cleanly, but transfering between the lines can make holding speed abit easier. These are good skills for people to learn, rather than just plow through without having to think, just hop and rely on the upramps to send them the right height/distance.

I don't think writing the place off completely is really fair, for a council built place it's not too bad, especially compared to some other places (mortdale for instance, if anyone remembers what they used to be like, and the pitiful 3 mounds they replaced it with).

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
So, while i'm really, really not interested in arguing about Wylde, I just have to press this point home...

You're talking about how much better the place is if you transfer across jumps to hold speed....a newb won't be doing this.
You definitely need a fair amount of skills to actually clear the sets--which defeats the purpose of it being a place for beginners. It's more like intermediate+ in terms of skill. Even highly skilled riders miss the first "gap" jump frequently.
140% of my gripe comes from the fact they've aimed this area for "all levels" from beginner to highly skilled, yet ONLY highly skilled can make it work. Does that seem right to you ?
As a public trail is needs to be cater to the least skilled as somewhere to learn and learn SAFELY. The last step up on the beginner line, why is it there ? What about the previous tabletops makes anyone in their right mind think a step up to end it off is right ? I'd rather see half the jumps at twice the quality.

I live fairly close so I ride the loop not too infrequently. I cannot tell you how many times I see kids and newbs ax themselves on these jumps when it *shouldn't* be happening (ie, not thru carelessness but because of poor design). Where someone might land a little sketchy and run up the next ramp without being able to exit the line causing them to eat shit. Skills would improve that happening but not if you don't have the space to learn it in the first place.
It's not the only poor design on the trail from this mob. The large too closely spaced tables on the trail down a hill which get smaller as you go.....is one of their brilliant ideas. I watched the guys finish off the revamp of the jumps. It did not fill me with confidence in their building skills.

Having said all that. I have ridden here on a 6", 4x, back pedal brake rigid, hardtail AM, and 24" and 26" DJ bikes. You can definitely ride any type of bike on the jumps and clear them. If you can clear these jumps, you can go to any well built set and ride them as you'll have more than enough skill by that point. Ride the pump track until you can do multiple laps regularly (and on a fs too). It is so important to have the fundamentals of pumping down pat. As previously stated, the pump track is quite good.
The Grove is great now that everyone is focusing their attention on developing it for beginners and intermediates. While Homebush is clapped out, it does present the opportunity to learn different skills.

Cave001

Likes Bikes
its like a 50min drive from my place at grose vale but pretty much best option that I know of except the small table I've started which is being built with a shovel/wheel barrow and myself. So wether there good bad or average I'll just deal with it

sbm

Likes Bikes
Oh man..stumbled across this looking for the same info as the original poster...and it's hilarious to see all the problems I was having at Wylde yesterday listed, right on the screen in front of me! I mean I assumed I was just king of beaters, but apparently the rhythm actually is awkward, and the step up at the end of the small set *is* stupid! I knew it.

I'll have to check out the Grove jumps. It's not really nearby, but I go up north to visit family often enough and it's kind of on the way.

Though, I haven't crashed on the Wylde jumps yet, it kind of shows how forgiving the bikes can be, if I'd ever tried to go that big on the skateboard as a kid I would have been collecting my bones into a pile with my ride somewhere on the other side of the carpark.