VIC New Summer Vic State XC Series 2011/12

mtbold

Likes Bikes
The Victorian State XC series is back to summer. Kicking off 4-Dec-2011 with Ballarat Sebastopol Cycle Club hosting Round 1 on a brand new course at Wimmera Hills Winery just 2hrs drive from central Melbourne.

I've posted course map and description at www.wimmerahills.com.au for round 1 as there is not a lot of lead time. For details of later rounds go to VSS

See you all there.

Last edited:

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Logical?

I'm fairly new to this scene but it seemed very logical to have the State series running Winter and Spring, leading to the Vic Champs and then the Australian Series.

The new timetable mixes everything up with State rounds 1 week prior to Aust rounds. For someone interested in doing both it both hampers proper training and means protracted negotiations on the home front due to the major commitment it brings. Does it also mean the 2012 Vic Champs will just appear from nowhere this time next year with no lead up races?

Basically it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Yes the weather might be better but the apart from that what's the reasoning behind the decision?

akashra

Eats Squid
Basically it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Yes the weather might be better but the apart from that what's the reasoning behind the decision?
To the best of my knowledge, it's soley because Rob has labelled the move to Autumn/Spring as a failure - despite the fact that the series was poorly advertised and many people didn't even have a clue the races were actually on.

It was proposed to be moved to Winter/Spring (which Rob countered/insisted on Autumn/Spring, which we went with) so that you could have a logical progression from Club racing, on to State racing, and then to National racing over a year, without overlap and clashes on an already chock-full calendar.
So now we've just had 5 events rammed back on to the Summer/Autumn calendar. Show of hands who thinks the round that is scheduled for the same weekend as the Gravity 12hr will either stay the same date or have bugger all riders turn up?

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pardon my ignorance, but what format is one of these XC races? I'm used to riding 6hr Enduros. Are they similar?

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Personally I am glad for the move. This winter sucked ass! and my bike had to have a lot of new parts post races, which is $$$$$$$$.

akashra

Eats Squid
Pardon my ignorance, but what format is one of these XC races? I'm used to riding 6hr Enduros. Are they similar?
XCO is a lap-based format. The current rules stipulate a race of between 1h15-1h45 depending on category, and a lap of generally around 4-5km in a cloverleaf configuration.
Most races are still stuck in the pre-2011 rules of 2h races and 6.8km courses that go out and back.

mtbold

Likes Bikes
Preparations

The pool is looking great so bring yr togs. Well, you can swim in your nicks if you want. I have to go and clean up one or two areas of overgrown grass with the whipper snipper but otherwise the course is looking great, NO PROBLEM with recent rain, only one bunny-hoppable puddle of B-line mud that the A-line avoids.

Check out the highlights

Camping area is mowed, the kiosk is stocked with pies and sauce, danish pastries and cappuccino. We have recently restocked our supply of handmade chocolates - excellent compensation for "MTB widows" good Chrissy pressies too.

The Main Message though, is the course is in good shape, the rain does not affect it and the same goes for the camping and parking areas.

The reasons are: 1) we don't get so much rain as you do. 2) the track is on the side of the hill and does not go through muddy bits.