National Champs double in four cross

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Last year’s winners proved too strong at today’s Hi Lux four cross final at the Toyota 2008 Australian Mountain Bike Championships in Canberra. Both elite reigning champions, Luke Madill and Caroline Buchanan, retain their crowns for another year however not without a struggle.

Buchanan forced the speed in the final to win her second national title at only 17 years of age.

“That was a tough one. I’m so tired,” announced Buchanan on the line. “I knew I had to be switched on the whole time. I was just in the zone. I was so pumped up.”

Challenges to Buchanan’s second national title came from Brisbane’s Sarsha Huntington.

“I knew she was there all the time. I knew she (Huntington) would do any move to pass me. I knew if I messed up she would be there,” said Buchanan.

Huntington crashed during a forced move and finished in fourth place. Second place was taken by top British downhillers, Tracy Moseley, while young Gracie Ireland from Sydney claimed third.

The repeat performance was quick to follow in the men’s race with defending national champion, Luke Madill too strong for local challenger, Leigh Darrell.

“I knew where he was and I may have let my guard down but I came back,” explained Madill. Darrell looked like a move in the second last straight may have given him the edge but Madill had it measured to perfection to win.Madill had been a standout through the day with good gates and led the field though the motos and heats. With BMX charging into tithe Olympic games in August, Madill has confirmed hie will not focus on trying to gain a spot in the Australian team.

Second place went to Darrell and Sydney’s Terrance Scarr retained third. Thomas Twentyman stayed out of trouble all day to finish in fourth.

National downhiller series leader, Amiel Cavalier from Wollongong was unlucky to make the final after crashing in the semi-final. World ranked downhiller Nathan Rennie was lucky during the preceding races a couple of spills allowing him a safe spot into the semi final. Rennie's sights are firmly set on another National title on Monday in the downhill after finishing second last year.

The elite women and men’s cross country races tomorrow are the highlights of the weekend with one berth for either on offer at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

For the women in particular if qualification criteria are not reached during the remainder of the overseas season then selections may go back to the national champion.

All eyes will be on defending national champion, Tory Thomas from Mt Beauty however a serious challenge to her retention of the title could come from Dellys Starr. Starr represented Australia at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and has return from her base in Denver to now pursue her Olympic hopes.

Also added to the mix will be new National Talent Identification Riders (NTID) from the “Dirt Road to London” program, Rowena Fry from Launceston and Zoe King from Sydney. Fry currently leads the national Olympic cross country series.

Full results can be found here (.doc)

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

Attachments