MTB National Champs - The Jersey Debate for 2006

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
All,

As you will probably remember there was some controversy at the 2005 nationals regarding the Elite DH race and some riders purportedly not riding to their full capacity in the finals (as difficult as it is to determine that in any case).

The matter stemmed from a dispute between the trade teams, who sponsor and support some of our best (and the world's for that matter) Elite DH riders and the UCI's requirement for the national champion to wear the national championship jersey at the World Cup events.

This rule had always been in place but had only just begun to be enforced by the UCI in the last 2 years.

In discussions between MTBA and CA we requested that submissions be made to the UCI by CA to see if a compromise may be reached.

The following is the response to that request.

In our view it is a workable compromise and now simply needs the trade teams to see it that way.

Since the Australian nationals are the first national championships to be held worldwide, we are hopeful that this will yield a universal solution to an issue that affects all nationals who award national championship jersies.

I would appreciate it if you could promulgate this as widely as possible through your facilities. If I can help clarify any of the memo or provide background info please contact me directly.

Thank you in advance,

tony

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
So what was the UCI response / resolution.
Are we going to see our boys "going for it" this year or is it going to be another circus?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I think they are saying that the winner of the nationals has to wear the national champ jersey in world cups? I know a lot of us would be really proud to wear it but the fact is the sponsors of these riders only sponsor someone to advertise (primarily). If they can't advertise, they won't sponsor. Where does that take the sport? Even further behind than we could imagine. What a fucking stupid rule, if people want to know who the national champs are, buy a program and check the riders number when he rides past. Dickhead organisers are taking the sport backwards.
Above all else, it is a rip off for the people that ride in the nationals and don't ride for the win (elites). Let them ride hell for leather!

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
DHDozer said:
I think they are saying that the winner of the nationals has to wear the national champ jersey in world cups? I know a lot of us would be really proud to wear it but the fact is the sponsors of these riders only sponsor someone to advertise (primarily). If they can't advertise, they won't sponsor. Where does that take the sport? Even further behind than we could imagine. What a fucking stupid rule, if people want to know who the national champs are, buy a program and check the riders number when he rides past. Dickhead organisers are taking the sport backwards.
Above all else, it is a rip off for the people that ride in the nationals and don't ride for the win (elites). Let them ride hell for leather!
Most are already aware of the current situation

Apparently UCI have offered a compromise to the World Cup teams that hasn't been included in the original post of this thread.

UCI response
In our view it is a workable compromise and now simply needs the trade teams to see it that way.

What is the compromise?????????????????

Or is the compromise, that, there is no compromise.

Last edited:

Cam Hart

Likes Dirt
The Compromise

From the CA website -

3 January 2006

MEMO: For General Release

Australian Champion Jerseys – Mountainbike

Many of you would be aware of the issue that has arisen over the past twelve months whereby MTB professional trade teams have strongly resisted the UCI regulation requiring the wearing of national champion jerseys. Unfortunately, The UCI and pro team managers have not yet resolved this situation. Regrettably, the riders are the one’s who suffer the most in addition to the potential devaluing of the national championships.

In an effort to provide some alleviation to this problem, the Cycling Australia Board of Management has resolved that for Mountainbike disciplines – Cross Country, Downhill, Mountain Cross – the Australian Champion will be recognised by one yellow band bordered by two green bands each 4cm wide around both upper sleeves. There will be no other national champions jersey awarded. The green and yellow bands are to be placed on the jersey worn by the athlete in all UCI calendar events.

In the case of professional teams, it is anticipated that the bands will have minimal impact on the team jersey branding and design.

Please note that this design is not to be confused with the thin green and yellow piping that is able to be worn on collars and cuffs by ‘former’ Australian champions.

Cycling Australia has advised the UCI of this decision and this will remain policy for Australian mountainbike champions until further notice.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Graham Fredericks
Chief Executive Officer

Last edited:

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
That seems like a very reasonable solution to something that should have never been an issue. National Champions need to be recognised, but the people and companies that sponsor the riders deserve more recognition because they are allowing Australia and many other countries to develop the sport.

I can't wait to see the nats now. The best riders in the world no holding back.

S.

ex offender
Someone (scblack?) suggested a while ago that the rule only said the person had to be WEARING the jersey... not that it couldn't be worn under any other jerseys.

This sounds like a pretty good solution though.

Rik

logged out
Hmm... a mesh/transparent sponsors garb worn over your national jersey? Could be workable :confused:

scblack

Leucocholic
S. said:
Someone (scblack?) suggested a while ago that the rule only said the person had to be WEARING the jersey... not that it couldn't be worn under any other jerseys.

Hehehe, yes it was me.:p

You could bet that there is some sort of by-law that says all entries are at the DISCRETION of the officials, and you'd get penalised anyway.

But as I said above, a reasonable compromise here.

mattvincent

Likes Dirt
S. said:

I recall reading somewhere that the jersey must be "displayed" at UCI events.

demo man

Used to be cool.
that'd be okay, wrap it around your downtube or something....

although, your getting pretty 'disrespectful' top a shirt that means you are representing your country. i'm hardly over-patriotic, but that's going a bit far...

bolzy

Likes Dirt
demo man said:
that'd be okay, wrap it around your downtube or something....

although, your getting pretty 'disrespectful' top a shirt that means you are representing your country. i'm hardly over-patriotic, but that's going a bit far...
yeah it should be given more respect like being able to wear your countries colours should be a honnor, not something that keeps your money going in your bank

if i was at the top of australian dh id be trying to win every nationals i was in not going easy to keep my sponsors happy and if your sponsors aint happy you winning well i dont know

but if thats they way thing are going these days thats dissapointing

my $0.02

jess

SKT

Likes Dirt
At the end of the day, who pays the bills?
Our international MTB athletes are obiously getting podiums all over the globe and hardly get a small spot in the national papers or a 20 sec spot on Sports Tonight. Apart from the MTB community they don't seem to get too much 'patriotic' support. I can't see why they are expected to show it in return. When ever there is a big race it is clearly stated what their name is and what country they are from.
Therefor, Aus is represented and they get their bills payed.
We're proud... they know that for sure.
Good to see a compromise for the sake of the Nationals really, so we get a fair fight.

nosbod

Likes Bikes
Question is how many top contenders will be present. I heard a whisper that one of the top guys may not be attending. I'll keep his reasoning to myself as I'm sure I'm probably not to know.