Merida E140 500 feedback

Ackland

chats d'élevage
So.... we have some EOFY budget at work and the field staff "want" Ebikes.
The Merida E140 500 can be had from the local store (Melrose) at a good price and in the size(s) that we need.

These will be ridden (neglected) by folks who aren't MTB riders and/or enthusiasts.

Some internal pros and cons..... my biggest CON is the mullet setup and the need for non bikers to understand what this means for spares...
Anyone here want to weigh in?
Any experience with the Fork/Shock?

(We could possibly get Trek Rail 5's if folks think they're better)

Good
  • Reliable service within hire fleet
  • Travel
  • 11 speed
  • Deore spec
  • Cost allows room for accessories etc
  • 630wh battery
  • DEW suitable colour scheme
Bad
  • Mullet set up
  • Battery covers known to fall off
  • Marzocchi Z2 fork and Suntour RS Edge rear

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So.... we have some EOFY budget at work and the field staff "want" Ebikes.
These will be ridden (neglected) by folks who aren't MTB riders and/or enthusiasts.
Some internal pros and cons..... my biggest CON is the mullet setup and the need for non bikers to understand what this means for spares...
Boomer Scooters
That got out of hand quickly.

I'll be keeping a good line of communication with the trailbuilder and Mr ex Councillor, if you ride an eeb on these trails, I'll get them to text me then BOOMer Scooter Boi will be reported here ASAP :p

Ackland

chats d'élevage
In all likelihood.... These will go straight to the Mambray Ck office and stay there, parked next to the ATV and quad bike which are covered in cobwebs (both were previous EOFY purchases)

ozzybmx

In all likelihood.... These will go straight to the Mambray Ck office and stay there, parked next to the ATV and quad bike which are covered in cobwebs
For visiting dignitaries ? Biking is fun, see how easy it is to ride uphill Mrs Hon Minister ?

ozzybmx

Might get a decent deal on a couple of Treks from OTE plus if they are staying up there, its an easy drop-in for warranty or repairs... does it also look good to buy local/rural when running a project there ?

The big difference is the travel, 13/140 vs 150/160 and the motor/battery with Shimano on the Merida and Bosch on the Trek.

Depending on the level of Rail, the battery size increases. Personally I would go for the Trek as the spec looks nicer with Rockshox and XT vs Marzocchi/Suntour and Deore. A lot nicer geo for an eeb too.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
In all likelihood.... These will go straight to the Mambray Ck office and stay there, parked next to the ATV and quad bike which are covered in cobwebs (both were previous EOFY purchases)
Next year you can get a bike rack for the ATV so you can throw the eBikes on the back for the ultimate lazy laps setup.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Might get a decent deal on a couple of Treks from OTE plus if they are staying up there, its an easy drop-in for warranty or repairs... does it also look good to buy local/rural when running a project there ?

The big difference is the travel, 13/140 vs 150/160 and the motor/battery with Shimano on the Merida and Bosch on the Trek.

Depending on the level of Rail, the battery size increases. Personally I would go for the Trek as the spec looks nicer with Rockshox and XT vs Marzocchi/Suntour and Deore. A lot nicer geo for an eeb too.
Either way they'll be sourced from ote.
Rich has recommended the Merida.
I much prefer the rail spec

ozzybmx

Next year you can get a bike rack for the ATV so you can throw the eBikes on the back for the ultimate lazy laps setup.
Shuttles of Mt Remarkable, there's your next project Acko.

@beeb the road to the summit is up and down like Nessies back, a shit road, nearly undrivable and very slow going. I dont think shuttles would ever be cost effective. I believe the road is only there for access to the radio tower, Parks and emergency services.

That is where the ebike comes in and the main reason I bought one.

600m drop though and even know the initial run is 50km return, the pick up from Willowie would shorten that by about 16km for repeat runs.

You couldn't get enough people up the mountain each run to make it worth doing IMO.

Would be great though.

20230421_204634.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Shuttles of Mt Remarkable, there's your next project Acko.

@beeb the road to the summit is up and down like Nessies back, a shit road, nearly undrivable and very slow going. I dont think shuttles would ever be cost effective. I believe the road is only there for access to the radio tower, Parks and emergency services.

That is where the ebike comes in and the main reason I bought one.

600m drop though and even know the initial run is 50km return, the pick up from Willowie would shorten that by about 16km for repeat runs.

You couldn't get enough people up the mountain each run to make it worth doing IMO.

Would be great though.

View attachment 399247
Chairlift it is then... :p