Mavic 521 or 321 Rims

Ty

Eats Squid
Dom, i might be selling my d321s

i'm going to start a petition to get D3.1s into Australia.

DOM

Eats Squid
cool .. well let me know,

The SMO's are fine .. but im not really dirt jumping much anymore.
and they are awesome rims for Vee Brake users with the Extra phat sidewalls .. but i got discs now.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Good luck Ty, GS are such an unhelpful bunch of guys. We tried for ages to get the Sram brakes and clusters brought in but they just said no so we got them from NZ for less. I would try the same if you really want the D 3.1s.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a 521 if you can, they have a nicer profile than the 321, otherwise they're exactly the same.

Ty

Eats Squid
i hate to tell ya the far from being exactly they same, true the use the same welding/pinning/surface treatment, but the d321 is much wider (as you said gives a different tire profile) weighs more and lacks a braking surface. but i'd also say that they stay truer and don't flatspot as easily.

D321 Weight : 675g.

D521 Weight : 590g.

all depends how ya ride

Jess_Dawg

Likes Dirt
if you get 3.1's into aus your a champion, i was hoping to get a set but had to get D321's instead. anyway i'd go for 321 over the 521 i'v heard there abit stronger but i'm not too sure about that.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Ahh yes the infamous Groupe Sportif. Even if you managed to persuade them to bring in the 3.1 rim, you'll need to use the specific eyelets, which need to be loctited (trust me), aswell as specific nipples! Too much hastle.

On another note, If you flat spot alot, go the 521's.
If not, the 321 is slightly stiffer and very stable on cornering.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Ty, go to the nz mtb site which has everything on mtb in nz on there.

Go through the shops pages and e-mail them or look at the shop sites to see who is selling the Mavics.

I will talk to a guy who has come back from living in nz and see if he can point you in the right direction.

Other possibility is to go to mavic site and look for nz distributors for a possible e-mail address. See below.

Cycles Etc Ltd
151 Neilson Street
Auckland
Tel +04 528 3607
cycles-etc@clear.net.nz