making jumps solid .

villy

Likes Dirt
I just dance round the jumps naked it seems to make them really hard (thats not the only thing that goes hard ;) )

build the jumps roughly then wet it down till its all moist and soked in then get a fat friend to sit in a wheel barrow and push them up and down:D
works trust me ;)

Streetr

Likes Bikes
Solid jumps

just use logs and wood to make the base and then cover them with dirt and square em' off...

:D :eek: :(

Plow King

Little bit.
Well on our new dh trail, were not using dirt for the jumps. Use lots of rocks to make it stable, pack them together and it shold stay solid

Attachments

CGR

Likes Dirt
stp_kid2 said:
yer we have been using mud and that has worked pretty well but we used clay on another jumps and its like concrete so what is the best way of applying clay ?

cheers bro,
Clay is by far the best material to use all you have to do with it is wet it down a fair bit (don't go overboard and turn it into mud, just enough to make it clump) and apply to the jump or shape into the jump if you have enough. The important part of all this is to wait until it is completely dry. If you don't do this and you start jumping while its wet the jump(s) will not last half as long, because of all the you carved in it when it was wet. However if you to impatatient to wait, the best way to keep the damage to a minmum is to use carpet.

stp_kid2

Likes Dirt
cuts and bones will heal said:
Clay is by far the best material to use all you have to do with it is wet it down a fair bit (don't go overboard and turn it into mud, just enough to make it clump) and apply to the jump or shape into the jump if you have enough. The important part of all this is to wait until it is completely dry. If you don't do this and you start jumping while its wet the jump(s) will not last half as long, because of all the you carved in it when it was wet. However if you to impatatient to wait, the best way to keep the damage to a minmum is to use carpet.
ok thanks mate . ive been using everybodies tips and its worked well. i have carpet on the lips atm and it is keeping the moisture in the jumps nicely.

thanks for your help.

::RideSiK::

Pro Rider
or make a really weak concrete...

just sprinkle concrete poder on the dirt, turn over a few times with a shovel, then add water, and let dry

i find this works well in berms as well...

stp_kid2

Likes Dirt
::RideSiK:: said:

just sprinkle concrete poder on the dirt, turn over a few times with a shovel, then add water, and let dry

yer i got a bag of concrete and sprinkled it on now all the jumps are rock hard. will it stay like that ??

cheers

Binaural

Eats Squid
::RideSiK:: said:

I have found this doesn't work very well for either jumps or berms. Admittedly, I was mostly trying with sandy soil, but the concrete failed to make a noticeable difference to how well the berm/lip held its shape while making a large difference to how much it cost to build the jump.

rell6103

Likes Dirt
technoboy said:
dude just make them nice and square use only dirt, no rocks no nothing
water and dirt is all you need!!!!
Dude, they are really cool. I think maybe you spent a little too much time on them, but sooo cool.

Have you jumped them yet?

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yea and also use your front tire and keep rolling over the hip to make itsolid. Hit with shovel, then roll over with your wheel. Then more dirt, and repeat the process,
p.s what is with your signature are you mocking me, fool?

Drew.

Eats Squid
Well i havn't read the whole thread, but, Putting lime powder over your already wet jumps helps the dirt stick together, this will further ensure that your jumps won't just crumble apart and prevent cracking.

Constantly water and they should hold up fine.;)

Patrick88

Likes Bikes
The thing that i do if i cannot get a jump or landing to go rock hard i would wet it then sprinkle cement powder over the whole jump (about 3mm thick) and mist spray it with water, then let the sun do the rest.

spicer_spicer

Likes Bikes
iv got crap arse sandy dirt, so we'v just gotta wet the dirt, which doesnt really work, beacuse the dirt seems 2 b water resistant (very frustrating), and pack it down heaps, & heaps, the ride it, rebuild it, etc, untill the jump is solid, the good thing is that when the jump finaly stays 2gether we know its really tightly compacted, and should work then

djdom

Likes Dirt
landing

sawtell showed me this 1,
when making a landing on softish dirt and have a big bit of chip wood around grab a mate make him stand on the back edge of the wood when its at the top of a landing then grab the end and drag him down the landing making it hard and Smother at the same time repete it to make it a number of this. hope it helps

cowboy from hell

Likes Bikes
I find if you built it with wet dirt and smack it with a shovel real hard, but don’t jump it straight away if u let it set for a few days it gets nice and hard. It’s even better if you get a good rain it goes nice and hard.