Kiwi girls dominate and Aussie men front up in the Olympic event

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Elite Women’s Olympic Cross Country

A six month break from riding did not affect New Zealand's Rosara Joseph as she crushed her competition after not racing her mountain bike for eight months. Rosara rode an impressive 1.59:37 at the Oceania Mountain Bike Championships held at Thredbo on Sunday. The 24 year old did not even see her competition as she took out her second Oceania Olympic Cross Country title.

Joseph, a Rhode Scholar, rode the quickest lap recording 22 and a half minutes. Cool conditions suited the UK based, Joseph who remained unchallenged and rode the 5 laps in less than 2 hours, nearly 13 minutes faster than her nearest rival, Australia’s National Champion, Tory Thomas.

“The first lap was really good then by the second and third lap I started to fade a little bit," she said.

For the Oxford University law student this was her first mountain bike race since placing 10th at the World Championships in Rotorua last August. "I was a little unsure of my form really," she said. "This is way beyond my expectations.”

To rub salt into the wounds, Joseph rode on a borrowed bike after her Giant frame was dinted in transit.

In a tussle for second place, Mt Beauty’s Tory Thomas was able to hold off a challenge by New Zealand’s Kaytee Boyd. Thomas pulled away from the kiwi in the fifth and final lap to take a second place. Ex-BMX rider Kaytee Boyd, rode in to claim third place proving that she has the predicted potential to make a top Cross Country rider.

New Zealand’s National Champion, Anja McDonald got up as high as third in the early laps but finished the race in fourth place. It was a disappointing race for Australian rider Kate Potter after winning on the same course in December and she had to be content with fifth place.

Elite men’s Olympic Cross Country

In the men’s Olympic Cross Country the Australian riders dominated with current National Champion, Chris Jongewaard taking out the title by three minutes over Dylan Cooper and Athens Olympian, Sid Taberlay. The Adelaide rider was pleased to win his first race since the Nationals Championships a month earlier.

Jongewaard rode a blistering average speed of 17.37 km per hour on a tricky and slippery 5.7 km course to finish the seven laps in 2:16:16.

The Elite men’s race saw Jongewaard and Taberlay break away from the field until a puncture in the second lap delayed the Tasmanian Taberlay.

“It was always going to be between Sid and I,” Jongewaard said after the race.

“I wasn’t feeling confident coming into today,” he said. “I haven’t done a lot on the mountain bike.”

He was not counting his success until the final lap after his experience in the last event at Thredbo where a flat tyre in the final lap on that occasion wrecked his chance of a podium spot.

“This is the start of the season so it will get tougher on from here with the World Cups and then the World Championships later in the year,” Jongewaard added.

Canberra’s Dylan Cooper was able to gain a spot and pass Taberlay and did not let him gain any ground. Cooper however never looked like threatening Jongewaard’s lead and finished in second with 2:19:31. Taberlay was not disappointed with third, preferring to ride a little easier after suffering a puncture and a slip in the wet conditions. The best placed New Zealander was Stuart Houltham in 9th.

Under 23 men’s Olympic Cross Country

In the Under 23 division, New Zealand’s Clinton Avery lead from start to finish, to take out his first Oceania title.. The Commonwealth Games representative completed the 6 laps in 1:58:09 to reverse last year’s placing that saw Australian Shaun Lewis take out the title with Avery second. Lewis looked to have second all sewn up until a wheel problem in the final lap saw the young rider loose about 6 minutes. Lewis finished a disappointing 4th. Second was strong Victorian rider, Daniel McConnell flying the flag for Australia with a ride of 2.01.29. Fellow team-mate Lachlan Norris took a well deserved third.

Under 23 women's Olympic Cross Country

The Under 23 women raced alongside Under 19 riders such as New Zealand’s rider Samara Sheppard who had an impressive time of 1.24:11 for three laps riding quicker than the Under 23 riders who still had one extra lap to go. The Under 23 winner after four laps was National Under 23 Champion, Lindsay Gorrell and South Australian, Terry Rhodes placed second.

For more information or vision details, photos or interviews.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia