Jumping Techniques?

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, so i read Dom's news post, and it got me thinking!

Whats the best way to improve your jumping? Is it by watching a video? Or is it by going out there and doing it yourself?

I am not much of a jumper, but i am going to make an effort to improve my jumping. That said, is learning from the very start again a good thing? Like building smaller jumps...and slowly building your way up (at a pace thats comfortable to the rider)?

After looking at pictures of guys soaring in the air, it always inspires me to go out and try a decent size jump, but maybe its back to basics first.

suggestions?!

Cheers.

Ty

Eats Squid
get out there, you could watch pro skaters all day long and get out there on a skate board and not get the wheels off the ground, jump with guys who are better and ask them to look at what your doing and get them to help out, no two jumps are the same, so they can tell you to hit a certain jump quicker/ slower/ drop the front down etc till you start to figgure it out by your self. hope this help out.

starting small and working your way up helps lots, but then you relise a 15 foot gap and a 30 goot gap require the same technique you can start to get a bit more extreme.

another thing which i do but looks really shit is to keep the front end up when trying a big gap for the first time, if you can get your front wheel over the landing you have a better chance of coming off ok compared to putting the front wheel into teh back of a landing.

hope this helps

Mason

Likes Dirt
I would say getting out there and doing it yourself. Every person has their own techniques to lumping, all you have to do is find it.

nathan

Likes Dirt
i tell you what i have never learnt how to jump but probably should get my ass into gear and learn, cause every time i jump i stack. Want to get a jumping school going on the weekends josh?

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
i reckon.. instead of building your northshore... build a series of 1 and 2 foot jumps going down that hill.. if someone kills them (destroys the jumps) who cares cause they are relatively small. that should get you started... its a nice gentle slope too....

DOM

Eats Squid
I learnt to jump at a bmx track .. perfect for learnning to jump ... nice run ups .. nice shaped jumps nice landings .. sweet as.
We had a BMX track on our way to school .. so wed stop in before and after .. few people ended up at school with bloody gashes haha.

you must have something in Toowoomba bmx wise ?

Basically control is a big thing .. being able to shift your weight on the bike and making it move tilting your postion etc .. once you got this going on .. you can then learn to judge jumps .. nothing like rocking up to a jump and not knowing how fast to hit it or how hard to pull up .. i usually get ty to jump it first .. but basically once you learn this and control .. things will be easier.

!1. tip though ( p.s im not master jumper myself but have seen this happen ) dont get into the habbit of pulling up the front and not dropping it back down . If you going to land down the landing ramp .. you need to land front wheel first. .. if you get into the habbit of pulling up and landing back wheel first .. your either going to learn how to manual down landings ( Like Rennie in the first black pheonix film farking sickkk ) or your going to flip off the back and hurt yself .. id say the 2nd is more likely.

BMX track though is a good start.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
we had a BMX in toowoomba, but it way over the other side of town from where we all live, at at the moment it's been bulldozed, they're apparently going to build something better.

I reckon the flat area at the bottom of lefty, out of the way of random grommits...

CAM

Likes Dirt
the new bmx track has actually been built, its about 100m away from the old one, just around the corner a bit

blacky

Likes Dirt
we have been going to the local bmx track here in ipswich lately,it is in realy good contition,some realy good jumps,even some ramp to burm transfers.
roady rob is riping the shit up

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
build a small launch ramp and cart it around to a local park which has some transitions. Then you can replicate the kind of launches featured in DH courses. Thats what i'm doing. Just gotta get a little bit more ply and i'll be done.

Glock

Likes Bikes
well to everyone in Toowoomba who wants to learn how to jump (myself included!) i think that building a few small - medium sized jumps on the "work in progress" track right near lefty would be a jolly good idea. It was in my "grand plan" to start with anyway, along with a series of 4 - 5 foot drops. Yeah so they might be small, but we all have to start somewhere.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
I got into BMX racing over a year ago. Best thing I ever did for my technique.
Bought myself a 20" race BMX and all the MX gear, joined the local BMX club, got my racing licence, and just started going to all the training sessions out there.
It's great! There's a great club/community atmosphere, all the old pros help out the people with less skill, you get to watch mindblowing riders (well, hopefully it's the same at your track...), and everybody is super friendly! And the race days are pretty intense, too!
With no suspension and a single speed, you're really forced to ride smoothly, learn how to pump transitions, hold speed, handle yourself on takeoff, flight and landing... And I'm trying to wean myself off clipless pedals for airtime, and get proper bunny-hops downpat.

And then I'll work towards the supermans... :)

skillz

Likes Dirt
hey
i am having trouble jumping on my norco one25 cos its very heavy and the fork goes down when i try to bunnyhop
does anyone know any tips for bunnyhopping?

Ty

Eats Squid
preload, i've just gone back you riding ridge forks and i found i couldn't bunny hop worth a damn, the reason, with suspension forks you push down (pre-load) the fork and as it springs back up you use that pop to get the front up in the air. i don't think weight matters as much, if you have good technique.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
belly i an hit up the local bmx track today on our hardtails... was great fun... didnt do all the doubles i wanted... but am very happy that we both hit up this reasonbly sized oned before we left... i reckon i'll go there on friday and try and do them all... just takes a bit of psyching.. not bad for the first day at that sort of track tho.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Yup, what they said.

Flow is important, go with the jump and dont oppose it. I also find it easier to keep ballance if I do something in the air like turning the bars say 45 degrees or 90 degrees.

Happy jumping :D

EDIT: I didnot see that there was two pages, nice to see that you are enjoying it :D