Jumping bike, which one?

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
Hows it going, first post so I guess it better be good.

I am a BMX'r of old but being nearly 6 foot I cant ride it properly anymore so I am going to buy a MTB.

I got a max of $2,000.00 aus to spend on a jumping bike/ slalom bike. I have been through www.pinkbike.com and notice that the Norco 125, twenty four seven, and the Brodie's are popular.

I have seen the price for the 125, but no where a price for a brodie or twenty four seven, where are these stocked?

And where are good sites to look with prices (internet shops, that have bikes in stock).

Cheers for the help, very good site by the way :wink:

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for $2000 you could get either a p.2 or a norco 125. Both retail for $1600 from memory and both are nice bikes. If I personally had to choose I would be getting the p.2 but upgrade the fork to a DJ3 and ditch the chainrings and rock guard for a single with chain guide.

Ty

Eats Squid
don't bother with the 24, it's just to burly and heavy for any of the jumps around here,it's really built for 10 foot to flat urban stuff, if your going to lay down that kind of cash look into a planet X or DMR, made by poms who know how to build a jump bike (look in dirt magazine), the norco/specilized are pretty good value for mass produced bikes, if you want to lay down a whole heap on what i reckon is the king of burly/usefull/DH/jumping/street bikes have a look at www.endlessbikes.com thses things may not look like much but they are the shit or have a an evil imperial, they are both super expensive but everyone who owns one swears by them.

or if you really lucky you could try and track down a CTR, boy bike co Daredevil, but good luck, they are rare as rocking horse poo (have a look at mine in the 'post your ride section')

hope this helps, PM me if you want any more info on dirt jumping hardtails.

Ty

Eats Squid
Andrew, how about we keep the ads for shops to a bare minimum.

thanks

-=forum nazi=-

*edit, sorry Andrew i miss read the orignal post, your comment/post is totaly valid

Ryan

Radministrator
I've owned a DMR Trailstar for about 10 months now and have loved the feel of it ever since I threw my leg over it. It just felt the way I always thought a jumping hardtail should. Other than that, Planet X make some sweet rigs and endless bikes are a work of art I would sell my kidney to own (and at $750US frame only I'd probably have to). Norco have a good range of tough hardtails at very reasonable prices as do Kona, though they are a bit more expensive for what you get.
I say support the small frame builders though, they know their shit back to front and it gives you the chance to build the bike you want, not just settle for the closest mass produced bike you can find.
Oh yeah, and go for a 4130 chromo frame too, steel is real :)

Tim

Likes Dirt
jump bike

Hey,

being a big boy, i'd be going Cromo, being a BMX'er do you want to stick to rigid? the new DMR Rythum is a bretty good buy at under $2000, but it's basically a jump cruiser, with 24" wheel's. KHS are also making a rigid with 26" wheel's and it's under $1000 i think. the Norco 125 is not to bad but i would go for the Norco 250 again cromo this year and also single speed, another thing a bmx'er might like. Thing's like Brodies and 24's arent really brought into the county and if they were they would be $$$$$. You could also go for a second hand Jump bike. In Aluminium i have seen alot of Orange Miss Isles for sale around the $2000 mark second hand, and DMR's are genrally pretty common second hand. Find a good bike shop and talk to someone who know's DJ'ing.

Tim

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, great information.

As I live in Darwin the local bike shop thing is really out, as they really weren't that helpful.

Could someone give me either a phone number, or a website I could look for some information!

Ryan

Radministrator
Try 'online bike shop site:.au' in google, should give you plenty of places to check out.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
msbhvn said:
What about the Aireal Liquid bike, they go for $2000, they any good, by what I have been reading they have a good parts selection?

http://www.airealindustries.com/liquid/mainframe.htm
Hmm, prolly won't get too much info on them as they're pretty new to Oz i believe. The boys at Aireal have looked after me pretty well in the past and all thier stuff is top notch so i couldn't see them importing utter crap though.

My Kona(in the "post your bike" forum) cost me arount $2000 after upgrading the brakes etc. Just another option.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
If you happen to be rolling through the Sydney area, we could hook up and go to the dirt jumps/BMX track where you could try my Brodie Holeshot. Beast of a bike. But of course, you'd have to get someone to go to Canada and pick one up for ya, since, like it was said before... Brodie and 24 aren't distributed in Oz yet... though that might be changing for Brodie in the very near future.

www.BrodieBikes.com