Energy gels and diabetes

Warp

Likes Dirt
Diabetes Type 2 here.

How do you guys cope with gels and such during a ride.

To be honest this is my first step researching this subject.

I am reluctant to have gels during a ride, even though I do I see it more of a necessity and I don't know if there are better or worst options for a person with diabetes.

Comments? Suggestions?

Cheers!

Warp

Likes Dirt
good question, what does your endocrinologist say?
That's actually a good question.
I've yet to be sent to an endocrinologist here in Australia.
In Mexico it was a matter of making an appointment. Here I gotta go to a gp first. I'll ask to be sent to an endo but so far the gp hasn't considered it necessary.
Health system is Darwin is, uh, not that good.

Thanks for the suggestions.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My initial thought was Whoa! Gels and diabetes sound like the worst possible combo. I wouldn't touch one until you've had professional advice.

poita

Likes Dirt
Thee is a whoel team in TDF that is diabetic (although I think Type 1). I am not diabetic or have any idea about it but they must have some good resources.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/
This is a good suggestion. These guys know how to perform with diabetes and I think have since free resources. I think you'll probably need to do a bit of trial and error yourself and then head back to the endocrinologist with you're info. A diabetes educator might be more easily accessible and able to facilitate more frequent visits? Have you tried sports drinks with carbs? Might be easier to micro dose than a massive whack in a gel?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Diabetes Type 2 here.

How do you guys cope with gels and such during a ride.

To be honest this is my first step researching this subject.

I am reluctant to have gels during a ride, even though I do I see it more of a necessity and I don't know if there are better or worst options for a person with diabetes.

Comments? Suggestions?

Cheers!
You need to have a talk to a diabetic educator/ nutritionist .

First, you do not need a gel For a ride of under 2 hours unless you are already depleted and it's a very hard ride. Your liver and muscles hold enough glucogen to keep you going for that period of time.

Because you have diabetes of some level ( really, just calling it it type 2 gives no indication of where you are functionally) I would personally make sure you take a glucometer with you and test before you start the ride then again at some distance in - this is where you respond with a gel if you are low. ( record the information of before and after ride and show to your dr, diabetic nurse etc)

Sugar is just carbohydrate, and by far the easiest and quickest way to absorb carbohydrate is with simple sugars like fructose and sucrose.

You also need to be careful to seperate advice that is general for people with type 2 diabetes and inactive and overweight versus that for situations in which there is a high energy use.

advice and glucometer will help you learn about what you need and don't need

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Type 1 diabetic here. Had it for 32 years. Been riding mtb for 18 years. Done lots of endurance events. Training for a 24 solo. Got lots of advice. I see an endo every 3 to 4 months.

Type 2 will be quite different.

Lots of testing while trying news things works for me. Trail and error with lots and lots of tests.

See a gp first. I saw a gp and an endo way before I started experimenting like this.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I am not too chuffed about under 2hr rides. I normally run on low tanks anyways (most of my riding is early mornings and I normally don't have breakfast, other than a cuppa).

It was about longer rides or very intensive rides (like MTB races 2+ hrs). About the 3rd-4th hour into ride that I start getting cramps or get really hammered. That's where I have had gels.

I do use a meter. It would sometimes tell me my blood sugar to go up after a 1-2hrs ride even with no carbonated drinks.

I will test more often, but I'm not very fond on stopping mid ride in the dirt and start testing. But hey, it's all for a good cause.

I will see what does my GP/Endo say... but I think trail and error it will be as that is what the docs tell you anyways. They will give you an educated guess but in the end it's testing that show what works better.

Thanks!

Specialized29er

Likes Bikes
I sure don't miss my type 2 diabetes days, I'm one of the very lucky few who gave it the flick through 70kgs of weight loss.

From my past experience I think most bodies react to different types of foods differently and no 2 cases are the same.
Go see a professional and you never know they might be able to suggest a suitable gel or a natural product to replace the gel.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
The problem is going to be accurately matching the change in glucose levels with adequate short and long burning carbohydrates to ensure you maintain a consistent glucose level.

Really, the question is actually very complex to answer. If I do intensive exercise, how much energy will I burn? This will differ from person to person so it's pretty much impossible to answer without more information.

In any case, really need data logging to monitor you consistently during a variety of intensity levels to get an appreciation of how your body reacts or better still, a real time constant log of your glucose levels during a ride so you can immediately change your intake to match your output.

From memory there was temperature devices that monitored for changes in body temperature as I believe there is a notable pattern in temperature drop/spike when low or high. Its been a long time since I've looked into this, technology has surely surpassed my knowledge! I would be looking at how you can accurately monitor this as it will be key to your reaction and assist with avoidance of the long term side effects caused by highs and lows.