Elbow/knee protection

Asterope

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

looking for suggestions for some comfortable, decent elbow and knee protection for xc/trail riding and (later on when I am more confident) some more aggressive riding. Doesn't have to be female specific but comfort for long rides and fit is important.

2 weeks ago I had a pretty bad fall down some stairs in the wet (stone cold sober too), and suffer elbow bone bruising and a badly bruised ligament as a result. I haven't had any major falls on the bike as yet, but I like to push my boundaries, im trying more technical trails and am getting more comfortable with tighter trails and using less brakes - so its going to happen sooner or later. If falling down some wet stairs can give me a fortnight+ of twingy pain and epic bruises... I am learning, I tend to fall off a lot, I would like to be able to do justice to my bikes, and would rather get some protection!

plus - I cant afford to take time off from work/research (my supervisors don't believe in weekends - I don't think they would look upon broken bones, stitches and a week off in a particularly favourable light...)

also - I don't care how gumby it looks riding up a fire road with padding.

Cheers! :)

Hi all,

looking for suggestions for some comfortable, decent elbow and knee protection for xc/trail riding and (later on when I am more confident) some more aggressive riding. Doesn't have to be female specific but comfort for long rides and fit is important.

2 weeks ago I had a pretty bad fall down some stairs in the wet (stone cold sober too), and suffer elbow bone bruising and a badly bruised ligament as a result. I haven't had any major falls on the bike as yet, but I like to push my boundaries, im trying more technical trails and am getting more comfortable with tighter trails and using less brakes - so its going to happen sooner or later. If falling down some wet stairs can give me a fortnight+ of twingy pain and epic bruises... I am learning, I tend to fall off a lot, I would like to be able to do justice to my bikes, and would rather get some protection!

plus - I cant afford to take time off from work/research (my supervisors don't believe in weekends - I don't think they would look upon broken bones, stitches and a week off in a particularly favourable light...)

also - I don't care how gumby it looks riding up a fire road with padding.

Cheers! :)
661 Rhythm, cheap and do the job.
Just make sure right fit else drive you mad slipping down

Su_B

Cannon Fodder
POC VPD 2.0 Knee are great: http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1794/joint-vpd-2-0-knee

I use these XC riding around Stromlo. I've worn them for up to 3 hrs straight. They're comfy, reliable, confidence boosting, and save you from looking like a ruffian at work/school! There's a point you decide that too many scars is just not cool.

I bought mine from an online store. Can't remember which. TBSM seems to offer a good price: http://tbsm.com.au/poc

For elbows, I bought these Troy Lee guards in XS but hardly use them: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/troy-lee-designs-eg-5550-elbow-forearm-guard/rp-prod59942

It's a good product (fits reasonably well), but I find it a bit warm climbing in them, particular from Spring onwards. I also get lazy using them and if I haven't crashed in a while, start to think they're overkill ... until I crash and graze myself.

The good thing about pads are you can pack them in your hydration pack and put them on when you're about to hit rougher trails. The knees are definitely a good investment, and actually make you ride more confidently.

lmcalps

Squid
Knee protection

My partner and I have done a lot of research on good knee protection (mainly for DH riding). We recently ordered Dainese Oak Knee pads and love them. They don't fall or slip down when riding.

However, if you want something lighter for XC riding, then I would go with POC gear as suggested in the above comment.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
POC also make DH versions of their VPD 2.0 elbow and knee pads with moulded plastic on the outside. you can team the short DH knee pads with their VPD2.0 shin guards for whole leg protection :D great for the cold, but a tad toasty when it's warm.

I'm getting the elbows and knees, so I will try to remember to give some feedback on their comfort & useability. :)
The other option for pedal friendly knee pads could be g-form.