Dugdell runs down Clark in photo finish

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
It took a photo finish to decide the winner of the elite men’s final at the BMXQ state championships in Bundaberg on Sunday. The width of a tyre was enough for Cairns rider, Ronnie Dugdell, to edge out defending title holder, Joel Clark from the Sunshine Coast.

“I knew I had enough momentum,” said Dugdell a former state winner in 2008.

But it was Clark who dominated the race leading down all four straights.

“Ronnie deserved the win,” said Clark. “I knew there was someone behind me but I thought it was Darryn (Goodwin).”

Goodwin from Perth secured third place.

There was another upset in the elite women’s race when Gold Coast’s Ashmore club rider, Gemma Sloane headed off defending title holder Kelly Percy from Redlands. Percy finished in third place and a smart ride by Lacey Oliver from Nerang gave her second place.

Cairns club secured the most wins on the final day of competition with a total of three while home club, Bundaberg claimed two.

Sunday’s challenge and elite class winners were: Mackay Pioneer’s Corey Frieswyck in junior men; Nerang’s Madison Janssen in junior women; Walkerston’s Michael Wallin in 30+ men; Cairns riders Bryce Stroud in 13 boys and Aislynn Weber in 13 girls; Bundaberg’s Abbie Blackburn in 14 girls and Jade Parker in 15 girls; Harbour City’s Jason Rayner in 14 boys; Townsville’s Brendan Floriduz in 15 boys; Rockhampton’s Erin Rook in 15 girls and Pine River’s Joshua Zarb in16 boys.

Cairns BMX club have secured the 2012 BMX State Championships which will be held between 24 – 30 September.

Over 810 riders from all over Queensland participated from as young as 5 year old to the over 50’s and during three days of tough competition 102 titles were given out. Cairns club recorded the highest number of winners with 16 while the Gold Coast area scored well with Ashmore club gaining seven and Nerang three wins. The local Bundaberg club came away with five winners.

Sharon Payne
Bike Media