downtube shifter bosses

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
One for those who know about vintage cycles.

What to do with downtube shifter bosses? I'm usually wanting to run vintage frames as singlespeeds, or if running gears I prefer to have shifters at the bar.

Question 1.
Are there any gadgets, doodads, or tricky techniques out there for neatly blanking off the bosses for gearless bikes?

Question 2.
Are there any gadgets, doodads or tricky techniques out there for converting downtube shifter frames to at-the-bar-shifting? I'm imagining some kind of cable stop that would attach to the boss.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
yes you can get cable stop things if you want to use STI levers

for SS/fixed - a couple of dice drilled out and glued on is the accepted conversion for street cred

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Answer 1: Yes, but how old and what type of bosses are we talking about? and do they unscrew??

Answer 2: If they unscrew then there are lots of nice alloy its which bolt on in a similar way to the early treck OCLV frames.
If they don't unscrew up can get or get machined up simple guides which slot over the top and bolt on, but not sure who makes them.

I know thats not a lot of help, but a photo will also aid in answering the question.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
Exactly like that. They have a thread on them too so you can get the tension correct for your sweet deraillers. Or 2 dice, drilled and glued (6 facing outwards of course)

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Thanks. Might skip the dice thing and just use it as a spot to stick my old chewy, or use lego man heads or something.