Downhill in New Zealand

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Heading down to New Zealand over the new year, and my mother is offering to pay for the bike to be flown over with me, I think she's still quite unaware of the price:p Just wanted to know of any places worth checking out for some downhilling over there as I'll be there for over a month almost. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Heading down to New Zealand over the new year, and my mother is offering to pay for the bike to be flown over with me, I think she's still quite unaware of the price:p Just wanted to know of any places worth checking out for some downhilling over there as I'll be there for over a month almost. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I've taken my bike with me on the plane to NZ many times and it has never cost me anything. Just make sure the box/bag is under 20kg and take all your heavy stuff as carry-on.

As far as places to ride go, I can only speak for the south island. Christchurch is awesome (apart from the earthquakes) and has plenty of quality DH tracks in the port hills and a shuttle bus that operates 3 days per week.

Queenstown is also amazing, especially now that they have finally started letting you take your bike on the gondola again.

In the north island, Rotorua is superb. Shuttles every day and one of the best DH tracks I've ridden, although unfortunately I rode it before I had a proper DH bike... There are plenty of trails that are super-fun up there apart from the comp DH track.