Daylight savings

ManikDWNHiller

Likes Bikes
As it is soon coming up to Voting time those of u From WA please vote yes for daylight savings i enjoy getting home from work and being able to go for a ride and juding buy the amount of people i see out after work so do other people. So please vote yes and if your not old enought to vote please tell you parent too.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about all the people with little kids?

"Fat Cat has gone to bed"

"But it is still daytime"

Personally, I don't like it. Daylight Savings in Winter makes more sense to me, but hey, I'm probably missing something.....

Clippy

Squid
I love the idea. Particularly through summer as I also windsurf and we get bulk time on the water....more playtime all round:cool:

Also have kids and they've simply learnt to go by the clock. Taught them about seasons, instilled a bit of discipline regarding bedtime and it's been no problem for us.

BTW - Thanks for reminding me, I fly out to work tomorrow and have to zip down the AEC to lodge my absentee vote. Almost forgot! :eek:

Cheers

cvbass

Likes Dirt
What about all the people with little kids?

"Fat Cat has gone to bed"

"But it is still daytime"

Personally, I don't like it. Daylight Savings in Winter makes more sense to me, but hey, I'm probably missing something.....
I'm guessing you're the same sort of person that's worried about their curtains fading? haha

What do you think people on the East coast do?
Kids get used to it, and it gives you some more daylight family time in the evenings. As it is usually, by the time I get home from work it's dark and we can't do anything outdoors until the weekends. Vote Yes for more recreational time in the evenings!

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm guessing you're the same sort of person that's worried about their curtains fading? haha

What do you think people on the East coast do?
Kids get used to it, and it gives you some more daylight family time in the evenings. As it is usually, by the time I get home from work it's dark and we can't do anything outdoors until the weekends. Vote Yes for more recreational time in the evenings!
Not my curtains, the duco on my car and the longevity of my Solar Hot Water System!.
As for the East Coast, what do they do beside spend time commuting to and fro from work, drinking coffee, complaining about how hot/cold/windy/smoggy/rainy it is and putting out fires?
Well, guess 'more family time' didn't prove enough of a reason for an overwhelming majority. Yes, you can do things outdoors, you simply need a torch/es.
TBH, I am lucky enough to have accrued days free to do what I please, and I don't have kids. If I did, then I still wouldn't vote yes, but anyhow, I dont, so I didn't.
The Yes vote never was in the hunt. Too many people were pissed off , myself included, with the fact that after an initial trial/referendum, in which the majority voted No, the Clever Ones went ahead and had two more trials/referendums, ignoring the polls. Blame them, they fucked it for everyone by setting themselves up for a backlash vote. Or maybe this was their cunning plan to push the debate asside for the next 15 years and focus on more important issues, like where to construct a new sporting stadium?

Last edited:

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
There isn't enough daylight hours in WA to make it worthwhile. At the peak of Summer you only get 14 1/2 hours full light at most. At home you can get 16 - 18 hours of usable daylight at the peak of Summer, it's light at 6am & isn't fully dark until nearly 10pm. Granted in Winter it's light at 9:30am and dark again at 3:30pm! If there was enough daylight that you would have that hour in the morning in March where it was dark getting up it might have passed.

Anyway, I'm an immigrant & don't have a vote so my opinion is moot.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There isn't enough daylight hours in WA to make it worthwhile. At the peak of Summer you only get 14 1/2 hours full light at most. At home you can get 16 - 18 hours of usable daylight at the peak of Summer, it's light at 6am & isn't fully dark until nearly 10pm. Granted in Winter it's light at 9:30am and dark again at 3:30pm! If there was enough daylight that you would have that hour in the morning in March where it was dark getting up it might have passed.

Anyway, I'm an immigrant & don't have a vote so my opinion is moot.
Bofh, you have lived at a latitiude that experiences great variation in the amount of daylight, so I think you are better qualified than most to have an opinion. 6 hours of Winter daylight! I'm guessing that would be interesting. Summer must be a frantic time to get outdoors into the sun and shake off the winter blues?

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
Bofh, you have lived at a latitiude that experiences great variation in the amount of daylight, so I think you are better qualified than most to have an opinion. 6 hours of Winter daylight! I'm guessing that would be interesting. Summer must be a frantic time to get outdoors into the sun and shake off the winter blues?
Northern Europeans over react to Summer the way West Australians over react to Winter! Anything over 20c is a heatwave & you have people fainting in the street from heat stress.

I'm embarrassed that I now find it chilly in the mornings, the first Winter I spent here I used to snigger at people on the train wearing gloves & scarves & woolly hats and I'd be sauntering about in rolled up shirt sleeves. I used to have 4 - 5 layers of clothes on using public transport at home in Winter.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
4-5 layers! , I'd wear a wetsuit under my windproof outershell and warm myself up with my own p.....hang on, that might cause some issues @ the office. Many people commute to work on bikes??. Fill the CamelBak with Hot Coffee and a dash or ten of some Whisky to prevent hypothermia!

Seriously, do people commute by bike in winter?

Last edited:

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
I rode to high school pretty much everyday for 5 years in all weather. I used to work shift & finish at 10pm and my wipers would be frozen to the windscreen, I changed banks just because they had stronger ATM cards which were better for scraping a hole in the ice to see through.

lolwut?

Banned
i ride to school in all sorts of weather aswell, except when its bucketing down, like monsoonal conditions. and i cried whem mu told me daylight savings was a no no, it meant i could stay out riding and building for so much longer :(