Buy bike in LA and post it to the airport?

mjb123

Likes Bikes
So I have a slightly strange one. I am heading off the canada this year and was looking to pick up a nomad on the way over. The plan was to buy a bike online and get it shipped to somewhere near LA and pick it up on the way through to Vancouver. The trouble I am having is to find a good shop close to LA or someone that will take the order and hold it for me (my preferred option).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The savings on the bike will be fairly significant over local retail so I am keen to work something out

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shipito have a warehouse in Hawthorne, California.

if you sign up you can do local pick-up

just remember to add sales tax to the price of the bike

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've had similar considerations in the last for bikes, snow gear and other fun items. I have found shops that will ship to your hotel. So with a little forward planning you could work out to have a shop post it to your accommodation and get them to hold it for you etc. Probably not wise if you are staying at the cheapest backpackers in town.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Yep hotel.

I used shipitto and consolidated a whole bunch of stuff. Delivered to hotel and picked up on arrival. I was chuffed when I actually got it, concierge says everyone does it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep hotel.

I used shipitto and consolidated a whole bunch of stuff. Delivered to hotel and picked up on arrival. I was chuffed when I actually got it, concierge says everyone does it.
Shops will usually pack to fly, ship free to continental USA, and stash the coke inside your seat tube.

John U

MTB Precision
Just have a stopover in LA and go and buy it from a shop? You could probably organise everything with the shop before you get there. If you have to pay Californian taxes you may be able to claim them back at the airport on the way to Canada. You'd get to meet the peeps at the shop.

Could be a couple of positives in there for you if you can afford the time.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just have a stopover in LA and go and buy it from a shop? You could probably organise everything with the shop before you get there. If you have to pay Californian taxes you may be able to claim them back at the airport on the way to Canada. You'd get to meet the peeps at the shop.

Could be a couple of positives in there for you if you can afford the time.
Taxes are State based, don't think you can claim them like GST.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Get bike delivered to LA from another state close by, no sales tax. Even buy it when you get there, most do 1 or 2 day shipping.