XC Bottom of the Barrel Budget Bikepacking Build - Giant Talon 11kg

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hi folks,

Here is my bikepacking rig I built up. Took her out for a maiden voyage and it was an interesting experience. Main fails included:
- Having to cross the buffalo river (pictured), bailed on that and then having to cross two smaller rivers instead.
- Detour route throwing me onto a 4wd track with no joke 30-40% gradient and taking me 3 hours to walk up.
- Getting to the top at dusk and deciding if I should camp at altitude and risk freezing in sub zero conditions or descend in dark with a pissy light. Chose to descend but it was wild and with rain an no visibility almost rode off a cliff!
- Almost dying of hypothermia.
- Fellow campers thawing me out with a hot cup of tea.

1697893118501.png

Details:

Frame: Giant Talon 29 off facebook market for $200. Bloke bought in covid and looks like they attempted to ride it but crashed. Frame is clean but a few scuffs on cranks and all that.
Fork: Manitou marvel 120mm
Wheels: (parts bin) fulcrum red power XL 29.
Drivetrain: (parts bin) 1x10 with 11-36 SLX cassette, SLX cranks, XT RD.
Brakes: (parts bin) SLX
Rotors: No idea but maybe the stock tektros that ame with the bike
Saddle: (parts bin) WTB Volt Ti
Tyres: Onza ibex and svelt - remember buying these for $15 for both from pushys (or was it mtb direct?)
Grips: Aliexpress odi copies

Weight: 10.9kg, not bad for a spare parts budget build. I think I spent maybe $600 total on this. Could have definately broken the 10kg mark with that crappy alloy frame with a bit more budget but meh, the loaded bike is gonna not worry about the last few grams. I tossed up a rigid fork to hit sub 10, but all the options that I was comfortable with seemed to cost more than the sprung manitou so I went with that. Pretty chuffed and my first hardtail in a long time (like maybe 10+ years).

Bikepacking bags:
Saddle bag: Revelate spine lock 14L with tent, ground cover, sleeping mat, fly and poles and pegs all rolled up. Tent is illumina X. Very good value and stayed dry despite this muppet stuffing up the fly installation due to imminent hypothermia.
Frame bag: PRO: with cooking stuff and food.
Top tube bag: Bike bag dude - few bits of food in there
Handlebar bag: Topeak front loader - sleeping bag and clothes
Bottle cage: Zefal Z adventure cage with anaconda cheap bottle 1L
On body: Evoc hip pack pro with 1.5L water, wallet keys tools etc.

What crap and needs to change.
- Water: Might go for a full frame bag instead of the split setup. Considering the apidura bottle but it's expensive at $90, might just try shove a spare bladder in there instead.
- Hip pack is crap and makes the saddle feel funny on my bum.
- Top tube bag is pretty crap and small. You can see it falling off in the picture.
- The old man on the bike needs to grow a pair.... of legs that can climb.

The good bits:
- Bike and equipment held together didn't leak and did it's job.
- Take off roll bag is highly recommended so you can pack all the stuff nice and warm and dry in the tent. Can't go back to a one piece.

1697893890252.png

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
not bad for a spare parts budget build. I think I spent maybe $600 total on this.
Good one ! and the perfect way to see if you like bikepacking. Only $600 out... plus gear ;) as I know its expensive.

I know MANY people who have slapped out $5k+ on a fancy packing bike, never mind the gear and hated the first night they ever slept out. Now cruising the hood on a Curve dripping with Ingrid bling.

At least if an upgrade may happen in the future, you'll get your cash back on this one.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I know MANY people who have slapped out $5k+ on a fancy packing bike, never mind the gear and hated the first night they ever slept out.
Yeah actually I started out with this lol:
1698032739683.png

Did a few day test rides and all that, bit of credit card gravelling (no tent). Turns out where I wanted to go was pretty rough so figured a hardtail is more appropriate.

To be fair I don't really see much that needs upgrading for the rides I am doing. Maybe a rigid fork and time will tell if the alu lasts, but yeah it's incremental improvements at best and most of the $$ has already been spent on the bags and stuff that goes on the bike. Anyone can do this with a off the shelf hardtail imo. The only real expensive part was the saddle bag which I splurged on. I tried a few and they moved a bit much for my liking, but all the other stuff is not expensive in the grand sheme of things and even the cheap stuff works.

*Oh forgot the sleeping bag, yeah that was very expensive but in fairness it will get a lot of use and my 15 year old one with poly stuffing for $50 at aussie disposals probably was well overdue for replacement.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The only real expensive part was the saddle bag which I splurged on. I tried a few and they moved a bit much for my liking, but all the other stuff is not expensive in the grand sheme of things and even the cheap stuff works.
I keep looking at these but need a decent trip organised to pull the pin. I'll still use the rear saddle bag but I'll put this in the position that supports the bag to stop wiggle when fully loaded.

Also grabbed a 4L CrankTank about a month ago, not used in anger yet but it will get used.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I have been hunting for a cheap hardtail for the very same purpose
I love a shit hot bike, but to be honest I've seen my mates bikepacking rigs and they cop a fair bit of abuse. Just this one trip and there are some areas rubbed down to the metal. Surprisingly the bags are ok though!