Project Bike Planner - Usable Link

Z

Zaf

@Nambra I do have an "other section" on the spreadsheet that's not yet populated, includes little things that usually sneak away (bottle cages, bottles, frame bags, etc.) But I could happily add a few things in there worth while. I do the same, pick up a few 10 cable inners on sale, buy outers in lengths of 20m and forget about it for years at a time.
Buying spokes out of Germany does a nice job of creating spares as well, they usually come in packs of 5 for €3 or so, so you buy 7 for a wheel and end up with a couple of spares.

Priority is to get all the fields and tables in to begin with. But given the frame's details are all fairly comprehensively listed and associated with the different options, build kits that automatically sort against frame variables will be easy enough. Just a matter of running the appropriate filters against the list.

EDIT:

I just finished the headset tab, pretty proud of that.
The Top and Bottom headset categories each check against the frame's headset standard, as well as the fork's steerer tube for compatibility, then only populates with options that comply with both (individually for both upper and lower) based on what's already been selected.

Last edited by a moderator:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Hail to Zaf! this is awesome. I have played around a little doing this on builds but this is so far next level it is awesome. Love it!

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Update again.
So I've build most of the modules, the last bit is just adding in accessories.
I ran into a slight complication when creating a selection for chain rings. It's easy enough to filter chainrings based on the mounting type, what became tricky was using chainrings that are compatible with multiple different speeds of derailleur (things like OneUp chainrings, which are good for 10sp-12sp). I found it easier just to list them for the speed that they're designed for when on brand, and then I have put a tooltip in for the =if statement used for unique rings that allows them to selected within the filter when appropriate. Does put a slight onus on whoever's adding the chainring though.

Trying to work a better way around it, but this seems to be the most robust method for the moment. I'm sure it'll fall apart the moment it goes beyond basic data entry for someone.

Also need to add a filter for cassettes to rear freehub selection. That won't take long to update, then the drivetrain module is built.
Capturefull.jpg
TL; DR
New features
- Tick box for Liteville styled builds (if 26" frame, alloys 680b fork, if 650b, allows 29er fork)
- Tick box for when stock shock is selected to remove cost
- Tick box for Single Speed setups which gives list of tensioner options
- Dynamic changes to drivetrain module depending on what frame is selected (ie, if Gearbox, Gearbox/Tensioner/Cog, if standard, BB/Derailleur/Cassette)
- Rolling approximate % of mass that is unsprung now floats and updates with selections.
- Pedals have a tickbox which toggles search on Flat/Cleats

To Do
- Create better chainring filter
- Include filter for Cassette options based on Freehub selected in wheelbuild
- Build "Other" pages for adding extra items
- Condense currency selection rows into single column with a select box for the currency.

EDIT: Scrap that, just realised I didn't have shifters on the drivetrain and that putting them in earlier might help with some of the filter, so going back and rethinking some of the filters.
This would be a lot easier if I didn't know that Shimano/SRAM shifters for 11sp are interchangeable now, as I could just force everyone to just stick with brand matched components.

Z

Zaf

Okay guys, think it's mainly done, not sure the "other" options actually need full tables for them. I might add them as a Misc. later and just have them arranged like that.

So be aware, this is an EDITABLE copy of the original file, and all I've done is set protected zones for the major formula's and filters to try and keep it stable. Comments are enabled, and you can also create copies if you wish to fiddle with any of the build properties yourself. Do excuse the choices, most of the frame and fork options that exist at the moment are around my bike choices, so feel free to start populating the list with bikes you're after.

Also: FRAME weight is without shock (weight gets added when you select the shock, there is a tickbox to remove shock cost if it's the stock shock you've selected). Also, all the tickboxes have a tooltip to show what they do.

It is something that is a cascading check, once a Frame and Fork have been selected, other options will enable, etc, but it will always flow down. If you're noticing menu's haven't opened up yet, it's either because there is not information input for them, or you are missing a prerequisite for them to filter onto the list. ie, you can't choose a front hub until a fork has been selected for it to then create a list based on the axle choice.

Z

Zaf

Just a small update, I'm starting to populate the lists with a few more options, data entry stuff. The initial run was mostly stuff that I was looking to buy/bought already and then some other bits and pieces to use for error and filter checking. From this point it's just filling out the lists to give more options.
I'll keep adding more as I go along, it's something that I am just doing as I browse stuff now, feel free to add in items that you wish to onto the tables. Just follow the naming conventions and the data for the selected columns.

Z

Zaf

Killing time till the frame arrives? Awesome work none the less :D
I've been leveled by a respiratory virus for the past ten days, so off the bike at the moment trying to just rest it off. Amazing the time you have on your hands when your spare time is no longer structured around getting on the pedals.

slowmick

38-39"
Seems weird to like a post about somoene being sick but can agree that when regular hobbies are off the table stunned by the available time for "stuff".