Barpsin Problem

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
hi guys,
Heres my problem, when i bar spin my foot hits the tire, and pretty much stops. i have thought of getting new cranks but is 10mm really going to make much difference? Even when my foot is off the pedal, its about an inch from the tire and hanging my foot off the pedal any more just feels stupid. I might be buying a Sunday (21'' TT) frame off a mate but don't know if that's gonna help either.
any ideas?!
Thanks

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
sort of got half bars today, foots still hitting the tire. cant point my foot up enough and its giving me the shits.

driftking

Wheel size expert
maybe take some photos it seems weird if you have good form and foot placement cant see how it would be hitting, the only other factor is the bikes length if its way too short for you. But even that's a long shot for foot hitting.

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
maybe take some photos it seems weird if you have good form and foot placement cant see how it would be hitting, the only other factor is the bikes length if its way too short for you. But even that's a long shot for foot hitting.
top tube is 20.5 so its not that small.. ill take some photos tomorrow.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
I had the same problem on my DJ bike,

I have 175mm cranks and how I do barries is when I go at the quarter I position my toes on the very edge of the pedal and point it upwards when i shift my weight backwards. I dunno if it'll work for you but it works for me ;)
I hope that I was some assistance.

Matt

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
Thanks matt, Ive tried putting my foot on the edge of the pedal but it feels very unstable and ive slipped off. Could it be the fork drop outs? How do you measure them?

driftking

Wheel size expert
So i'm assuming with your foot in the first position it is obviously fine, personally this is where id place my foot anyway, I always have its more idea for power and gives more movement in the heel for extra absorption of landings, although that said i ride dh and don't ride bmx. But I never from what I know ride in the middle of my foot. Just seems like you need to get used to proper foot placement? Hopefully the hardcore bmx guys will jump on here soon.

edit: sorry I thought the foot positions were different, upon looking again I realized they were the same. As I said over the page maybe longer frame shorter stem combo to give you the same reach but more tire clearance will help.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
It looks like in the second picture your foot is further off the pedal forwards. anyway the thing that stood out is that your stem is pretty long I don't know what most people run but would it be better to run a longer frame and shorter stem? ie same reach but the tire will be further away.