Avanti Competitor 9.1 or Fuji Tahoe 29 1.3

Hi all, looking to replace my ageing Avanti Hammer with a new HT 29er.

I'm looking at a new, but previous year spec, Avanti Competitor 9.1 or Fuji Tahoe 29 1.3. Both bikes are the same price.

Both are very similar in specs with:
Deere M615 brakes
Deore M610i shifters
Deore M615 crankset
Deore M615(Avanti)/M616(Fuji) front derailleur
Deore XT M781 Shadow(Avanti)/M786SGS Shadow(Fuji) rear derailleur

Main differences are in the forks, rims and tyres.
Fuji runs Fox 32 FLOAT 29 Evolution CTD w/remote lock out, Sun Inferno 25 rims and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 tyres.
Avanti runs RockShox Recon Gold Solo Air, Alex MD21 rims and Kenda Honey Badger 2.05 tyres.

I've had a short ride of the Avanti and it feels fine. Don't have the opportunity to ride the Fuji though.

My riding will be a mix of paved bike paths with kids/mates on road bikes and some trail work, mostly around Lysterfield. Main aim is fitness, fun and skills building.

Anyone got any recommendations on which one they would go for? Seeing as I generally keep my bikes for 5+ years, I'm wanting to go new this time, rather than used. Although drnick is selling his Jamis d29 Pro carbon, which is very tempting! :biggrin1:

Thanks in advance,
Gus.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
If it fits and feels good then get the Avanti. It is there after all...both bikes are probably over capable for your needs anyway.

Ours is not to reason why. Merely to point and giggle.

Thanks SBD, I figure I probably can't really go wrong with either, but being able to get the fit and feel of the Avanti is a definite advantage. Going to check out drnick's Jamis this weekend so who knows whether I'll end up with new or used right now! :)

slowmick

38-39"
Gus, do you want a cross country race bike? I have a 2012 carbon fibre competitor and it is a very light, very quick bike. It's not a great deal of fun to punt around Lysterfield with all the exposed roots it can feel like it is trying to rattle you to death. I have a steel hardtail with a big tyres and a slacker head angle. it is much more fun to ride around. I would suggest a slacker hardtail with a dropper post as a nicer do it all bike. Have a look in the all mountain hardtail thread for ideas. Have fun shopping.

Thanks Mick, I can certainly see what you're saying. I think I'll probably end up riding on pavement/bike paths with mates on their road bikes & hybrids as much as anything but I want to be able to get off road as well, although I'm also pretty sure I'll never be able to do the bike I get justice. Ideally, I'd get a road bike and a dually, but the budget just isn't there right now. Will check out the all mountain HT thread as you suggest for ideas though.

slowmick

38-39"
funny - that's why I bought my competitor - to use for commuting, riding with friends on the bike track and doing events like ride the night and melbourne roobaix. one thing you will notice about a mountain bike is you run out of gears very quickly when riding with people on road bikes on the flat and downhill. great when you come to an uphill as you have plenty of gears to make it nice and easy while they stand up and struggle. the days are getting longer and warmer. it's bike riding time. don't worry about doing the bike justice - i'll never get close to the capabilities of mine (self preservation kicks in well and truly after 40).

So after the humming and harring over which one to get and thinking it would be really nice to have my first ever new MTB, I couldn't go past the value of 2nd hand......

I bought drnick's 2013 build Jamis d29 pro carbon hardtail with SRAM X0 running gear, X9 shifters and XT brakes. Should keep me going for a few years I suspect! Now I just have to wait for a new saddle, shoes and computer to arrive and I'll be all set! :)

Thanks for the words of wisdom gents.