Anyone use suspension trainers - TRX and whatnot? Looking for back/core strengthening

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Finally on the mend after a cascade of back issues (lower back stuff from bad posture and some dodgy shoulder pressing at the gym) and bought a TRX suspension trainer:

I need to educate my glutes and to get my lower guts engaged more for better hip posture (tilted under me) and to have by shoulder pulled back a bit more instead of being hunched forward a little.

I've got a standing desk at work and have had a lot of good advice from some physios and exercise physios, which seems to be working well. Decided to get a suspension trainer (TRX Home) and to do half basic gym for strength and half suspension for rehab, movement, flexibility, strengthening, etc. The TRX website sucks anus (if you're going to get one of these, don't believe the spiel about what's provided to you in the way of guidance) and I'm hoping to benefit from some of the knowledge and experience on this website.

Anyone use these, have any advice on what works and what doesn't and what may suit me to achieve my aims? Links to places where this info exists for cyclists would be gratefully accepted as well.

Cheers!

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I'm not a doctor though like to pretend when on the Internet. These exercises have helped me strengthen my glutes and core though please consult a trained professional before attempting to smash yourself to bits. My go to equipment are gym rings (or TRX) and a kettle bell; portable and brutal.

I really like the Bulgarian split squat (also called the rear foot elevated split squat). They're a killer when done using the TRX setup, both body weight and weighted. I also like any form of the glute bridge, suspended or not, and planks, pikes, push-ups and inverted rows on the TRX. I also find lots of stretching and mobility 'pre-hab' is key. Get the target muscles stretching.

A fun little smash fest that I reckon ticks all the boxes is the "Bring Sally Up" push-up challenge. Using Moby's song "Flowers" you get into the push-up position and when he sings 'Bring Sally down' you lower yourself down and hold until he sings 'Bring Sally up', when you then rise to the upper position and hold until Sally goes down again...

Here's a vid;http://youtu.be/BqiT7WROAlc

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Johnny,

I definitely don't claim to know it all but I'm a strength coach specifically for cyclists and runners and also am a qualified trainer in Crankits (Another suspension trainer similar to TRX) so can give somewhat of a qualified opinion on this topic for you. I started out as a Personal Trainer and Crankits was one of the first courses I did. I thought they were the shiz when I first started! I've since done my Strength & Conditioning and Powerlifting courses. Combine those with learning from experience with clients of what works and what doesn't and my opinion on the usefulness of suspension trainers has decreased. Crankits/suspension trainers are hard, no question about it. Hard doesn't mean they are the most effective way to train though. They can be a useful tool to use to challenge stability in advanced clients/athletes but they aren't the most effective way to build strength or to rehab. It's not what the marketing and fitness industry will tell you but the simplest ways are the most effective when done correctly.

You sound like a typical cyclist who is tight through the hip flexors and i'd take a guess (that's all it is without seeing you) that your rec fem quad muscle is really tight, and that a couch stretch for you is very painful and has very little range. Few things I'd recommend you to do:
1) Fix your anterior hip mobility. Stretch and roll your quads daily.
2) Avoid all lunge exercises for the moment as they require knee flexion combined with hip extension (something you don't have if you are excessively tight in rec fem). Lack of range here will cause compensation in the lower back. You could substitute lunges for box step ups in the mean time.
3) Activate your glutes by doing exercises such as glute raises with RNT (band placed around your knees to encourage glute activation).
4) Activate/engage your core by doing exercises such as the hollow body position (add in leg extensions and leg raises as you improve) or plank variations.
5) Exercises such as 1/2 kneeling and full kneeling chop & lift as well as farmers carry are great progressions for core and posture.
6) Once you have adequate mobility in your hips and activation in your core, use exercises such as squats, deadlifts, hip thrusters and lunges to build and maintain strength, mobility and activation. People seem to think this happens quickly though, improving mobility and activation can take 2-3 months of consistent work. It's not exciting exercise but it's crucial in progressing injury free later in your strength work. Don't rush it.
7) The same concept goes for the upper body. If you have poor mobility in your shoulders you need fix that first (most likely tight through your chest) and then work on strengthening your back. Stay away from overhead push/pull exercises until your shoulder external and internal rotation is adequate. Stick to seated row, flys and bent over row. I would still work your chest as I find exercises done with correct technique through full range is one of the best ways of maintaining mobility. You should use light weight with reps of 10-12 though on the chest exercises for the moment. The Sally Up challenge is brutal and smashes the chest, I wouldn't recommend it for you at this stage!

Hope this helps. Feel free to pm me or reply here if you would like more info or help.

Last edited: