Any experience with Rohloff 14 speed internal hub?

S.

ex offender
Yum Cha Racing said:
the good thing about the nicolai (sp?) is that they put the rohloff hub in the frame instead of the wheel to reduce the unsprung weight.....
it does look pretty confusing though
Yeah, then they welded on 49072705483 crossbraces and adjustable links, which completely shat on the purpose of having lighter weight anything :lol:

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
for the wheight issue, what would a standard hub, cogs, and derailer weigh? I honestly dont know, but i cuold see these things adding up to being aboiut the same weight as the 20 pound of the singular hub

S.

ex offender
msbhvn said:
for the wheight issue, what would a standard hub, cogs, and derailer weigh? I honestly dont know, but i cuold see these things adding up to being aboiut the same weight as the 20 pound of the singular hub
If you had a 20lb drivetrain you'd be in trouble. It'd be like pedalling a motorbike.

Most drivetrains are probably about 4lbs I'd say, hub, cassette and derailleur. The 20lb frame isn't only cos of the Rohloff, they have about forty million adjustments and gussets and crossbraces and bolts and jackshafts and weird tubes and stuff.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Thanks Chewey, spoke to the guy in Melbourne and it is a full disc wheel build with shimano disc, shifter and cable, chain tensioner and front chain ring and in anodised black.
It is a bolt on hub though, not q/r, for $1100.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Not sure about the bolt on hub bit instead of qr, would be perfect for a bike with horizontal drop outs though, like a Boy Bike etc, hey Ty?

Anyone have thoughts on the subject of bolt on over q/r?

Just have to carry a spanner I suppose.

S.

ex offender
Bolt on will scratch up your dropouts a bit due to direct friction on them when you turn the nut, but that's a good thing in a way cos it makes it harder for the wheel to slip.

But in general: bolt-on = wank
There isn't really much difference from one to the other.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
Bolt on will scratch up your dropouts a bit due to direct friction on them when you turn the nut, but that's a good thing in a way cos it makes it harder for the wheel to slip.

But in general: bolt-on = wank
There isn't really much difference from one to the other.
fark off! I have a bolt on rear wheel. The way i case jumps i need it! (But really my bike came with it and who am i to bother to change it?)

Ty

Eats Squid
Cruz the boy bike has vertical drop outs, i have bolt ons just because thats how i got the hub, but i have heard some scary stories of bikes with horizontal drop-outs loosing wheels when casing jumps like kalem said. i always carry a spanner riding XC anyways (crank puller is useless with out it)

Ryan

Radministrator
I've got a bolt on rear wheel now, used to have a qr and with my horizontal dropouts the wheel would slip occasionally under hard cranking loads and when doing stalls. Doesn't happen anymore with my bolt ups, so I'm happy with that :)
The other advantage of bolt ons is of course that you can run a solid rear axle for more rear end strength and one less thing to worry about breaking, but with the sacrifice of increased weight.
The only way I can see bolt ons being classified as a wank is on a light-duties bike with vertical dropouts, otherwise I reckon they're a great idea.

S.

ex offender
Ah yes, with horizontal drops then bolt on will make a difference... some people seem to think they make a huge difference with vertical dropouts though.... I don't quite understand why they would think that, but hey...

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Chewey, thanks for the info re the hub, should be able to let you know next week how the bolt on hub goes, hopefully I will like it. Friend already offerred to buy it for his d/h bike in case I don't want it.