Ann Caro to try new things in 03 season

DOM

Eats Squid
Seems the queen of international downhill racing is going to try something new this year. The French female bullet is going to be competing only in select World Cups and the World Championships in Switzerland in August. Chausson said her sponsors are planning for her to do more "Free ride" events, which receive more media coverage. Chausson has not announced her retirement from World Cup racing but is going to try new things for the 03 season she explains.
Visit PINKBIKE for a small interview with Chausson.

Could this be a change for all professional mountain bike riders? Both Nico and Caro are looking towards more popular events, which include greater prize money and media coverage. So what is happening to the World cup? For now nothing but in my point of view the Norba NCS and UCI better start to make professional racing more inviting for the worlds best riders or we could see a serious lack of attendance at future racing events.

- DOM -

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
I hope this doesn't start a trend. But with norba losing $$ and free riding florishing this is to be expected.

DOM

Eats Squid
Yeah im scared about where mtb racing is going ... i love 4x and those redbull events but the pure skill invovled in sliding through a corner or bombing through a rock garden to win a world cup dh .. id hate to see that die.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate to say it but DH is dying as world sport. It will always be around at the club level but looks like hte pro level is realy doubt full. I realy hope that UCI does something about it, as there is nothing that we can do about it :(
With the decline of norba, will that mean that perhaps a few more international riders will head over to australia in the offseason?! I hope so! Now that we have one circuit all that we can do is grow stronger and stronger... *crosses fingers*

lindsay

Likes Dirt
It would be horible if the racing does die off. In some ways it has been growing and still is. However the organisation and sponsorship side is dying. TV is finally catching on to it especially overseas which you'd think would help the sport. Lets hope it picks up again sometime soon.

I doubt we will see more riders coming over for racing in aus. Our national series is still a peice of crap compared to the norba series. I think international riders are coming over and will come to try and find out why we can ride downhill so fast. We dominate the norba's and there is always at least 2 to 3 aussies in the top 10 at any world cup and usually one is on the podium.