Rear shifter – Shimano XT 11 Speed
Cassette – Sunrace MX8, 11-46, Black
Front hub – Industry Nine 1/1 Boost, J bend, 6 Bolt
Rear hub – Industry Nine 1/1 Boost, J bend, 6 Bolt
Front rim – Light Bicycle Carbon AM 928 32 H, 28mm internal width
Rear rim – Light Bicycle Carbon AM 928 32 H, 28mm internal width
Spokes – Sapim D-Light
Nipples – Brass
Tyres – Front – Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5, EXO, Maxterra.

Rear – Maxxis Dissector, 29x2.4, Exo+, Maxterra.
Total weight – 15.5 kg

After buying and building-up a Raw Banshee Paradox a couple of years ago, I’d been looking for a suitable FS frame to build. I’d narrowed it down to either a Phantom, or a Prime, and ended up choosing the Prime as it seemed to be the sweet spot for me in terms of the trails I ride and the travel. Plus I love the Raw frame!

I previously converted my Paradox from 27.5” to 29” with the LB carbon wheels and Pike, but I still had the 27.5+ Ohlins coil fork and Hope wheels lying around. So I decided to put the Paradox back to 27.5”+ and use the Pike and LB wheels on the Prime.

I’ve been riding this for the last two months and I’ve only just gotten around to posting a PYR.

My thoughts so far:

• It took a bit of time to get the shock set up properly. I had to remove the tokens and run at higher pressure to get the sag correct and use full travel.
  • You can definitely feel the longer wheel base out on the trails, but you get used to it pretty quickly.
  • It’s a bit heavier than my previous FS bike (Canyon Strive), but I’ve gotten used to it and already it’s faster downhill.
  • I decided to run a 50 mm long stem and it seems like the right choice. I run a 35mm long stem on the Paradox and it definitely suits it, given it’s a playful hardtail.
  • For the dropper post, I’ve used a brand-x before and it was adequate. I forgot how bad the lever was, after having a One-up, so it’ll be the first thing to change.
  • I also forgot how slow rolling the Assegai is; my previous FS bike (Canyon Strive) had a DHRII and it had more than enough grip, but rolled a bit faster. I’ve got a DHRII ready to install on the weekend.
  • For the brakes, I’ve previously had Hope V4’s (Paradox) and XT 4 pots, as well as SLX 2 pots. For me the Hopes are way more brake than I need, plus they are a pain to set-up. The XT 4 pots were functionally great, but not great value. So for this build, I landed with the non-series MT 520 and they are perfectly fine for me!
  • For the Fork, I’m not sure I’ve hit the sweet spot in terms of travel, at 140 mm. I guess I just have to ride the hell out of it and see how I feel about it in 6 months!
    1000016899.jpg
    1000011516.jpg

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I pm'd Banshee on FB about fork travel. According to Keith, 150mm is the sweet spot.

There are headset extender cups for the lower that you can get in 10 + 20mm

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Sweet ride.
I started my v3 Prime with a 140mm Z2 and I was smashing pedals everywhere. At 150mm the bike just felt better
I also swapped the dropouts into high and reduced the head angle and increased the bb drop to make it pedal better - for me that was the best iteration

Cosh

Likes Bikes
Sweet ride.
I started my v3 Prime with a 140mm Z2 and I was smashing pedals everywhere. At 150mm the bike just felt better
I also swapped the dropouts into high and reduced the head angle and increased the bb drop to make it pedal better - for me that was the best iteration
So far I haven't had any issues with pedal strikes. I've got the dropouts in the high setting atm.