24" rear or less travel ??

What say you ?

• Drop it back to 6.5"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
i used to run Sun BFR 24'' rims on my hardtail and they copped it sweet and nairy a cry from them...pulled the eylet thru a onyx hub beating them on a downhill once and the rim stayed true...prob are better options out there tho but it adds some scope to the selection for you or anyone else out there looking for 24s...

go for 26/24

Yeah go for a 24 inch back wheel.
I've heard bad things about mag30's (heavy, cracks, flat spots, expensive).
I'd go for the go old Sun Mamoth/BFR or the rhino XL, all available in 24 inch.
I've got a dice24 and they flat spot really easy.

Remember you dont need a super strong rim as a 24 is way stronger than a 26 to start with.

For racing the best tyre is probably the intense 909 24 X 2.5 SR.
Its the softest compound 24 inch rubber you can get.
For all purpose stuff the highroller 24 X 2.7 is pretty good (more like a 2.5).
Never tried the Kujo, should also be pretty decent.
I've heard the kenda 24 X 2.6 SR are good too.

I've got a bighit with an Avy DHS-RC and 9 inches rear travel via a custom linkage.
Beleive me there isnt an issue with the 24 in the rough stuff if you've got an avy.
Also steer clear of aireal hubs, I've had nothing but trouble with Aireal's hubs as have others I know (seized bearings, in a brand new hub).

NoeFFeX

Likes Bikes
I just got my new wheels. 26/24 mag30's laced to Hugi FR hubs. Super smooth and look awesome. I used to run Sun Singletracks (the stocks on there). But Gutty, like the others have said, you shouldn't have any huge strength issues with a 24" wheel. I also like how the rear 24 raises the front end. I just find mine super comfortable.

By the way mate, sorry to post whore but how much did the Avy set you back and who did you order it through? I've got a 2002 BigHit Pro and I'm deciding whether to get the Vanilla RC revalved or just drop the $$$ for an Avy. Any info would be great. Cheers.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NoeFFeX said:
By the way mate, sorry to post whore but how much did the Avy set you back and who did you order it through? I've got a 2002 BigHit Pro and I'm deciding whether to get the Vanilla RC revalved or just drop the $$$ for an Avy. Any info would be great. Cheers.
I think he said $1400 after tax and shipping and crap

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, Kalem is pretty close to the mark, i think it was about $1370 or so after shipping, GST, Duty.

I have spoken to a few people(on message boards) that have ridden a BigHit comp with an Avy and also ridden a fox equiped Bighit DH and say that the 6.6" of avy travel beats the shit out of the 8" of Fox travel any day.
I pretty much went for the Avy because i'm an MXer and wanted somthing that would feel like my MX bike, the Avy does just that.