POS 1990 Scott MTB/cruiser/girly bike

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame was given to me by Carlin many months ago, with the promise that I'll do something special to it.
It took some time to slowly piece it together how I wanted, and I didn't want to rush and compromise the project either. Patience paid off, in that I scored some great bits through scouring around shops.
Purple Velocity rims were the last in stock, purple pedals (that glow in the dark) were the last in stock too.
Intention was to build it in to something very cruisey to poke about on, also a few female friends (yes, I do have some whose names don't end in dotJPG) had expressed interest in wanting bikes to get around the 'burbs on so this was built with them in mind to lend so they can see how they go. Thus it's very girly with an upright seating position and whatnot but I would've done the colour scheme regardless :D

1990 Scott Windriver. Tange cromo frame + fork.
Deore cranks, Sram 9.0 derailleur, 7.0 "Amy" gripshift. Running 9spd with single ring, bottom sprocket locked out as the derailleur's too bent to stay on there. "Gutty" bashring from years ago.
Velocity Aeroheat AT rims PC purple, laced to Onyx rear and QR/20mm front hubs. Bigarse whitewall tyres to top it off.
Cheapo V brakes with massive 4 finger levers.
Jagwire compressionless cable all 'round. Pink brake inner cable :cool:

Finished off with moustache bar on original Ritchey stem, Scott Contessa saddle, Odyssey GID purple pedals and purple grips. Honka horn FTW.

Emailed Scott Belgium to see what they thought, received a catalogue scan as the reply:eek::cool:

Heaps of fun, comfortable to ride and can hold speed enough to commute (albeit slowly). Handles really well too, the tyres give bucketloads of grip! Not much more that I'd want to do with it, except maybe get blue anodised V brakes. Was riding it with cantis for a few days but some near-death experiences convinced me to swap for some better-stopping brakes ;)
Forget lending this to friends, I'm enjoying riding it so much I'll keep it for myself.

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have had a bit of fun riding this bike around lately :)
Brakes are average - the pads are too squishy and don't give any bite/feel, and the fork shudders under heavy braking too... not that you can really brake that heavily with such shit pads!
The tyres feel weird at lower pressure, it "tram tracks" really badly and that's fairly unnerving, but still it holds on well when thrown around.

Will be upgrading it over the next couple of weeks, to give it offroad-worthy performance. Can't wait to see how it goes :cool:

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honka hoota ftw, I used to have one on my v10 but it came off in a crash and I couldnt find, mine was blue tho.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and the fork shudders under heavy braking too... not that you can really brake that heavily with such shit pads!
They way you have your front brake set up looks a little nasty too. you may have a headeset issue too if its not just the ordinary breaking.

Really what you need to do is put some purple anno cantis on there ;)

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They way you have your front brake set up looks a little nasty too
This pic was taken with different pads, but do elaborate about the setup.
There's heaps of flex in the fork, I'm pretty sure this is causing most of the issue - combined with crappy pads. So what to do? Replace the fork... soon :D

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This pic was taken with different pads, but do elaborate about the setup.
In the photos the front brake has been set up with the Vs at odd angles and skewed to one side. If you balance the spring tension properly and set them up so they are symetrical they should be better.

Unless the brake is skipping on the rim, the fork judder is also more likely to be headset related.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As threatened, I've upgraded it:

F100RLC fork, used to have early Vanilla internals but I pulled the springs out and chucked an air piston in instead. Gotta update the stickers to suit :rolleyes: Just a frankenfork from spare parts, using it to slacken the angles out enough for me to get comfortably behind the bottom bracket. Steering is floppy as expected, but that's fine given its cruisey nature.
Fork's spaced down to ~70mm travel, running 10wt oil with max LSC and I tend to get around with the lockout on for commuting.
Shimano cable disc brake is more than powerful enough once set up properly. Rear brake is still giving me dramas but new pads and levers will address that when I can be bothered.
Threw on a Fizik Tundra, longer stem and some lights for commuting - I did a 70km cruise on it the other week :eek: And although I was sore the next day (understatement) it was doable and I wouldn't be surprised if I keep up such silliness on this bike... it's so much fun!

Only criticisms I have are relatively minor: Seatpost tends to slip a bit, there's only a small amount of contact area due to the lugged clamp, bleh. There's a bit of flex in the bike from everything - bar, cranks, frame, wheels, tyres, fork/wheel under braking (then again I'm 90kg). I have to keep reminding myself of its intended nature, to cruise around, as I do like to race traffic/riders and the vagueness under power needs to be accounted for.
Nevermind, it's still fun :cool:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Bah!

I thought it was nice and nostalgic initially. A Farkin.net bashy...nice blue anno...something the ladies would really appreicate. Alas, next page and we have an identity crisis on our hands.

Great work!