Search results

1. O

Cxr-1 Giant Wheelset - any good?

Last year I bought a Fathom 1 2018 with XC1 wheels. I've ridden it pretty hard and given those wheels a pretty hard time. They have a few good dings and unable to be trued properly. I need new rims but I thought I'd take this opportunity for an upgrade the whole wheelset. If I can't find a...
  2. O

Giant Fathom 29er 1 2018 - What to upgrade?

So I bought the Giant Fathom 29er 1 2018 for my xc race/commuter bike. It ticked all the boxes I had including having a dropper post! I've been riding since about August last year and although it's a great commuter bike and did me well for the 100km Kowalski, it just doesn't ride as good as I'd...
  3. O

Shimano XT 2x11 complete swap for SLX 1x11

My girlfriend has a Trek Fuel Ex 8 2017 with an XT 2x11 and I have a Giant Fathem 1 2018 with an SLX 1x11. For those bikes we would both prefer the other drive train. I want the 2x11 for my hardtail and she would love the 1x11 for her trail bike. My question is is it possible to do a drive...
  4. O

Bicycle Insurance - How do they calculate "market value"?

So, between my partner and I, we have three bikes: 2018 Giant Fathom 1 RRP $1999, purchased at $1800 2017 Trek Fuel Ex 8 RRP $4299, purchased at $4600 (including Stan's Arch wheelset) 2016 Giant Anthem SX RRP $4300, purchased at $3500, with $750 custom wheelset bought in April 2017. I have been...
  5. O

I accidentally bought a 180mm rotor instead of a 170mm rotor

I just ordered two Shimano SLX-Zee-Deore RT66 rotors for my Anthem SX 2016 with SRAM Guide Brakes from Chainreaction.com. I would have order SRAM Centerline rotors if they were three times the price (literally). The problem is that I bought a 180mm rotor instead of a 170mm rotor (which doesn't...
  6. O

New Bike Advice

I'm looking to buy a new bike and I really need some advice on what to get. I currently own a 2012 Giant Anthem X2 (26") which has 5000km on it. It was my first serious bike and it's by far the best monetary investment I've ever made in my life. I use it as an everything bike - hammering down...
  7. O

Tubeless Sidewall Puncture

I was out riding yesterday and I got myself a sidewall puncture from a loose rock the size of a golf ball - see above picture. The tyre didn't go flat but it did leak to the point of it being too low to ride properly. I got out my pump and pumped it up, but I found that it hadn't/wasn't sealing...
  8. O

Bike access along Fairbarn Ave through Majura Parkway roadworks

I'm confused as the current access arrangements on Fairbairn Ave. Until recently the ACT government website suggested that cycle access along Fairbairn Ave past the roadworks would be closed until "early 2015". This bit of text has been replaced with some text saying that the cycle path along...
  9. O

Bike path along Majura Parkway in Canberra?

I checked out Majura pines in canberra for the first time since it was partially opened today and I found (aside from the awesomeness) was way a cycle from that seemed to run parallel to the Majura Parkway. I work at the airport and so it would be awesome to be able to get straight to Majura...
  10. O

Cheaper Alternative to Volume Spacer Kit for Fox Float Shocks

I am looking to put a volume spacer in my Fox Float RP2, except I don't want to pay ~$40 for what is essentially a piece of plastic. This seems like a really easy cheap method of doing exactly the same thing, except I live in Canberra and I'm not sure the three snow shops sell the plastic stuff...
  11. O

Rebuild an entire bike piece by piece

I want to give my girlfriend a new bike but I don't want to spend all the money all at once. Currently she owns this. I figured I could progressively buy new parts until it's a completely new bike. Is this a good idea? Am I going to end up paying more than I should because I'm buying...
  12. O

Fox float rp2 - excessive grease after riding but holding pressure

I noticed over my past few rides that there has been excessive grease left on the shock shaft when I get home. The shock also seems to be quite a bit softer than usual and the pro pedal feature doesn't seem to work as well as before. I checked last night and it is still holding 150psi though I...
  13. O

Fox Float RL Seal Popped off

I have had my bike for over a year now and have been very happy with it. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/anthem.x2/9711/52877/#features I just got my bike serviced with the annual front and rear shock maintenance done - and it came back with very soft shocks. I didn't have a...