Search results

1. W

Angleset/slackening a Demo 8

+2 for the Works Components headsets. I've used one and know another two riders with them. No creaking issues. The only person I know with an Angleset also suffered from the constant creaking problem. Though making a Demo 8 even slacker seems a bit over the top. I've ridden some of the...
  2. W

Hayes Stroker Trail issues

A couple of years ago, two of us had Stroker Trails for a while and we both developed different faults. Had two different shops try to sort them out. And we both moved to different brands (Hope and Shimano) and haven't looked back. Given the incredibly low price of a pair of SLX brakes, their...
  3. W

X-Fusion Metric HLR Fork (160mm to 180mm, 36mm stanchions)

Mine now do a bit of an oil mush sound on compression, which I only notice when bouncing around on a road. I have no idea if this is anything to be concerned with and have assumed that it's not.
  4. W

Bearings- does it matter what sort as long as they fit?

Thanks everyone. The Enduro kit it is! I'm replacing all the suspension bearings on a multi-link full suss frame. I had othewise been imagining spending an hour trawling through some kind of bearing warehouse (there is, apparently, one where I live).
  5. W

X-Fusion Metric HLR Fork (160mm to 180mm, 36mm stanchions)

I've been running a Metric pretty much since they've been available. Unfortunately, I haven't been riding all that much. Maybe just over ten to fifteen riding days on them. Whenever anyone else has picked them up (I had the fork off recently) the comment is that they are surprising light for...
  6. W

Bearings- does it matter what sort as long as they fit?

I've had my frame stripped down so I figure I might as well get the bearings replaced. Does it matter what sort of bearings I use as replacements (steel vs stainless steel, double shielded vs double sealed?) The existing bearings look to be double sealed (blue non-metallic seals on each...
  7. W

Type of bike to bring back to Sydney

Sane: Do yourself a favour and get out to Chiang Mai as soon as you confirm the riding conditions are good. It is a brilliant place- great riding, really good cheap food, great accommodation, riding logistics that are simpler than just about anywhere else in Asia. I make it out there about once...
  8. W

Just checked out videos of the Oxford Falls area. I had no idea there was stuff like that on the north shore... wish I'd known about it last time I was in the area. I completely suck on jumps though- air time scares the crap out of me and I'm too old to heal quick.
  9. W

You're in Thailand? Get in touch with Loose Riders Chiang Mai (Facebook). They're a really fun group. Most of them are downhillers but at least one of them has been blasting around the less crazy-steep areas on a 6" bike lately. He says there is loads of good enduro-style (in the Euro-AM sense)...
  10. W

Thanks for all the replies. Flint's suggestions led me to the nobmob site which had useful photos. Kind of looks like I'm going to make a switch to something short travel (bugger, maybe I shouldn't have given away my old Anthem) and maybe even get into this big wheel thingy. Interesting photo...
  11. W

I've been out of the country for the past ten years and plan to make it back to Sydney this year. I'm wondering if I should bring my current bike back, or should I sell it and bring something else. In NSW, all I have ever ridden is Sydney commuting and the Oaks firetrail. My terrain...
  12. W

hope tech m4 evo and x2 evo

I've had both the M4s Evos and the current iteration of XTs. They have similar levels of power, but I vastly preferred the feel of the XTs (the amount of lever throw) and ended up selling the M4s. I found that I could modulate equally well with M4s and XTs. In terms of power, I found that...
  13. W

Setting up my 08 Reign X1 for DH

On the other hand, the older Reigns were built like complete tanks compared to the newer Glorys.
  14. W

Help me design some carbon rims

For what it's worth, the company really does stand behind their one year warranty for obvious manufacturing defects (I was pleasantly surprised). I found a crack in my rim at 11 months, which was obviously not caused by impact. It took them about 4 weeks to replace it.
  15. W

Are 29" wheels significantly weaker than 26" for moderately aggressive riding?

I've only ever seen one snapped rim, and that was on a 29" wheel. 60kg rider on an XC full suspension bike (SC Superlight or Tallboy) endo'd on a surprise 1' drop on a section that I've seen people fall on over two dozen times. It was a machine-built Bontrager(?) and it bent into a 90 degree...
  16. W

Upgrades is it worth it

Did the OP ever state what he wants to get out of these "upgrades" in the first place? Is there anything wrong with the bike besides a slightly naff fork? For what it's worth, I'm all for dropper posts- they are bloody fantastic and mine is the part that I have kept across three frames. I...
  17. W

1x10 without a chainguide

I'm running a 30T 104BCD on my 1x10. It's made by Anderson Machine, off memory it costs the same as what you posted. The guy makes both ramped and non-ramped rings (non-ramped being a bit more durable so the better choice for 1x10). IIRC I had to spend about five minutes filing tiny amounts off...
  18. W

Thoughts on Stan's 3.30 hubs

There's a huge difference in terms of noise, if that is important to you. Hopes make the loudest hubs out there. Stans are middle of the pack in terms of loudness.
  19. W

Giants fcuked up oversized headset trip. What length stems are available?

Agreed that Overdrive 2 is a stupid idea. I deliberately bought an older model new Giant just to avoid it. Overdrive 2 = lack of available stems and also a lack of headset choice (I'm running a Works Components angleset and wouldn't be able to do so with Overdrive 2).
  20. W

Velocity rim - where to buy?

Yeah, I recall reading about their relocation to Florida a couple years back and thinking it was weird. Everyone else moves to China.