All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Swapped the original square bottom bracket FSA cranks and the 2x8 Shimano Claris on the Marin gravel over to Sensah SRX PRO 1x11 Speed 11s Road Bike Groupset STI R/L Shifter Rear Derailleurs GR3 Crankset.

I only usually do basic wrenching, but it went smoothly, looks much better, and I assume the rear derailleur with a clutch will stop the dropping of the chain etc compared to the floppy loosey goosey Claris one (can you tell I hate it?).

Including shipping it was around $340, but I also bought some bar tape, a second cluster for the second wheelset, two new brake cables for the cable disc bakes and some really shit cheap quick links.
In case someone cares, it saved me a massive 285 gms. If I buy a better cluster at some point I can shave that by another 104gms. I googled the GRX weights just for fun as well (only found a GRX shfters wieght for both so just plit it into two).

Is it worth the it, for the price hell (so far, I haven't ridden it further then just tuning the gears around the street). For a tight arse like me I think it's great. If it all goe to shit I'll post an update.
1710649204234.png

Marin new .jpg

marsbe

adequately spanked
Youre right. Brake pads are so over-priced for what they are. Even discs prices have got out of hand.
That combo of cooma gold and centrelines handled a non-stop fast for me run, top to bottom at Maydena on black/double black all the way down. Im 86kg.
Any long-term reviews of the Cooma Gold pads? I'm interested to see how they compare to the likes of Galfer, Discobrakes, Uberbike etc.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still on shock pumps , I have been using one of these for a couple of months now. Very happy with it. Doesn't feel cheap in action , has the nifty little engagement screw to depress the valve core after you have screwed onto the schrader body. Absolute bargain at $16 delivered,

Isildur

The Real Pedant
So, I've ordered a bunch of mechanical Shimano gear from Ali, usually from Delic Bike Store, and so far has really good results.

Has anyone ordered Shimano brakes, like M7100, M8100 or M8120? They're basically a full set for a price of a single end locally, so I'm considering taking the plunge, unless someone else has ac reason not to?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I like the look of the Meiser accu-gages...
but taking a punt on one of these (30psi) for $15, same type of mechanism. fingers crossed!
Definitely interested on how it goes.

I think my thumbs are wearing out.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Hey @danncam how are the sensah bits going?

Looking to put a 2x system on my zwift rig as I've run out of gears with a single ring setup.

Tossing up whether I go sensah phi 10spd for ultra cheap or get the 11/12 SPD carbon levers

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I like the look of the Meiser accu-gages...
but taking a punt on one of these (30psi) for $15, same type of mechanism. fingers crossed!
I got one a year ago. Works well compared its accuracy with other guages I had at the time I bought it. Just don't go over 30 psi on the 30 psi guage it spins the needle round the dial like a big lucky dip wheel. You can take the guage apart to fix it though.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Hey @danncam how are the sensah bits going?

Looking to put a 2x system on my zwift rig as I've run out of gears with a single ring setup.

Tossing up whether I go sensah phi 10spd for ultra cheap or get the 11/12 SPD carbon levers
Glad you asked.
Only rode with it for the first time today.
Mainly road but some dirt road big corrugations and some dirt trail small roots.
Very happy with my "Ali-GRX". The clutch works well. The cranks are quite schmick looking and have narrow wide teeth pattern.
Most importantly I have no complaints about how it shifts. It is the one brake lever only shifting, push to go up to the larger cogs, click to go down to the small cogs.

I kept my cable disk brakes and I prefer the new sensah brake levers to the previous Shimano (um..coff) Claris ones.

If you are grabbing stuff for a swift only setup, I assume weight is irrelevant, save the money for new pair of riding glasses or something else.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
I got one a year ago. Works well compared its accuracy with other guages I had at the time I bought it. Just don't go over 30 psi on the 30 psi guage it spins the needle round the dial like a big lucky dip wheel. You can take the guage apart to fix it though.
their factory photo on Alibaba doesn't inspire too much confidence :) (but they may be artisans in spite of crap working conditions imposed on them! )
1711165637036.png

tested, consistent

Last edited:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
their factory photo on Alibaba doesn't inspire too much confidence :) (but they may be artisans in spite of crap working conditions imposed on them! )
View attachment 408019
tested, consistent
That image has been manipulated . Only five peope working in a factory in China. Come on.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Bought these recently. Turned up today.

26t chainring (only in 0mm offset), hence the spacer.

After putting the 155mm cranks on I wanted to try a smaller chain ring than the existing 28t one (though it's probably, most definitely possible that my issue stems from lack of fitness lol).
Compress_20240323_161629_9287.jpg

PASS QUEST do pose a valid question though...

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Bought these recently. Turned up today.

26t chainring (only in 0mm offset), hence the spacer.

After putting the 155mm cranks on I wanted to try a smaller chain ring than the existing 28t one (though it's probably, most definitely possible that my issue stems from lack of fitness lol).
View attachment 408023

PASS QUEST do pose a valid question though...
Realised I didn't link any of the items yesterday.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
AU$46.39 17%OFF | PASS QUEST Direct Mount For GXP Chainring 24/26/28/30T/32T/34T/36T/38T/40T Chainwheel for SRAM NX GX XX1 XX1 Eagle X01 X01 Eagle

The link for the spacer is toast but this is the same one...

The only thing with the spacer is that it pushes the mounting torx screws out towards the BB and so an extra spacer washer is needed so the screw don't foul on the BB. This is just a interim fix to see if the 26t with 155mm crank is worth it.

Then I think I'll fork out for a proper offset steel ring