It's only 3 inches... 2018 Transition Smuggler

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Frame - 2018 Transition Smuggler Alloy Large w/custom chain-slap protector (EPDM squares underneath 50mm heat shrink) and crud flap.
Rear shock - SR Suntour TriAir 3CR 210x50 (replaced the standard RS Deluxe RT)
Front shock/fork - 150mm Rockshox Revelation 35mm w/DIY DSD Runt (JBAC), with a Charger RC damper in place of the MOCO thingy.
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbars alloy 35mm clamp, 40mm rise
Stem - Raceface Aeffect R 40mm
Headset - FSA No. 57E
Grips - Deity Supracush
Saddle - WTB Volt Comp
Seatpost - Raceface Aeffect 150mm
Front brake - Tektro HD-M745
Rear brake - Tektro HD-M745
Rotors - Hope 200mm (thanks @beeb)
Cranks - Raceface Aeffect
Chainguide - None
Chain - KMC X11ER
Pedals - Crank Brothers Stamp 1's w/M3x12mm "pins"
Rear derailleur - NX
Rear shifter - NX w/DIY matchmaker
Cassette - NX 11 speed
Front hub - Novatec
Rear hub - Novatec
Front rim - WTB STP i29
Rear rim - WTB STP i29
Front tyre - Maxxis DHR2 WT 2.4
Rear tyre - Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35 (soon to be WTB Trail Boss 2.4)
Tubes - One strapped to the frame
Total weight - Approximately 7.5 times lighter than me.

A different beast

I've had this Smuggler for a couple of years now. It replaced a 26in '08 Giant Reign X1 (had it for 11yrs) and is my first 29er. It has been an eye opener as to how far geometry has come over the years and is more capable as a trail bike than the Reign and much faster. I can still vividly remember my first trail ride on it and how I nearly rode straight over the back of a berm into the trees because the 29er wheels really like going straight. It was a totally different sensation to the 26in wheels. I just told myself I needed to "turn it like you mean it!"

Air spring virgin

This was my first bike with air sprung suspension (also has more adjustments than the Reign had) and took me a lot of time and learning to get it set up relatively well. Still, I found it difficult to get a really good setup with the RS Deluxe RT, so 10 months down the track I swapped it out for a SR Suntour TriAir. Even in the early stages of setup the TriAir felt amazing. The breakaway force required to get this shock moving is very "coil like" for want of a better term.

The Revelations took a lot more fettling to get to an acceptable level of performance. They were very harsh out of the box but did improve somewhat with an early lower leg service with low friction dust wipers. But the quest for good performing forks didn't end there. A Charger RC damper came up for sale on RB so I snapped that up (thanks @Kerplunk). I'm a simple man and wanted a simple damper (just not MOCO simple :oops:).

Nearly there but I was still looking for a bit more. A month or so of ideas and designs rattling around in my head and an evening or 3 on the lathe and I had my own "DSD Runt" for the air spring.

It was real close to a nice fork now "but what about those lower leg bushes..?
Queue logging some more lathe time to make a bush burnishing tool. Another lower leg service, a bush burnish and an air spring swap to the latest Debonair spring and the final pieces of the air fork puzzle were finally in place.

Playful wagon wheels

Despite the 29" wheels I find this bike is super playful on trail, easy to switch lines and launch off natural features (my favourite type of "jumps")
Climbs well for a weighty trail bike, I never bother with the climb switch.

Future mods

Never had a mullet (neither haircut or bike) and have been curious about a mullet Smuggler (Smugglet ).
This year (work bonus FTW) I plan to buy a second air shock with a longer eye-to-eye and stroke allowing for more rear travel (approx. 138mm) and a 27.5 rear wheel (courtesy of @beeb's bicycle parts emporium) to bring the geo back close to standard.

Other "future mods" will be just replacement parts as I break stuff.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Such an innocuous looking bike, but so many subtle details. Very well evolved package @fjohn860. Rear shock was a particular surprise, felt excellent.

Have taken this down a couple of trails, and despite it's all-alloy construction, it feels very light on its feet and is a spritely climber. What surprised me most though was how easy it was to throw around on the trails. Felt like a 27.5 bike, but with 29er rollover.

Cheers again for the test ride, must return the favour a get you on the Sentinel one day. ;)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Such an innocuous looking bike, but so many subtle details. Very well evolved package @fjohn860. Rear shock was a particular surprise, felt excellent.

Have taken this down a couple of trails, and despite it's all-alloy construction, it feels very light on its feet and is a spritely climber. What surprised me most though was how easy it was to throw around on the trails. Felt like a 27.5 bike, but with 29er rollover.

Cheers again for the test ride, must return the favour a get you on the Sentinel one day. ;)
Thanks mate It sure isn't a super flashy specced bike, but works really well.

Not sure I want to ride the sentinel... It might make me want one more than I already do

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Love it, I've got the 2017 model - I think the geo tweaks on the 2018 would only make it better. Built this up nicely, good job!

beeb

Not sure I want to ride the sentinel... It might make me want one more than I already do...
Okay, just ride it uphill then. :p

(It's actually not bad uphill, but not quite as lively as the Smuggler!)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Love it, I've got the 2017 model - I think the geo tweaks on the 2018 would only make it better. Built this up nicely, good job!
Cheers, yeah it's a great all-rounder.

It's a much more capable bike than what my skills can actually take advantage of

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Nice rig John, a mate has the same model in white/black. Very capable bike, he has 36 on the front and bumped the rear travel up to 130mm..
Thanks mate, yeah they are very capable. Definitely happy with it.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Looks great! Where did you get the M3 x 12 'pins' from?
Thanks!

I initially ran some brass screws that I purchased from ebay

But the blue aluminium M3x12mm screws I purchased from aliexpress

10pcs aluminum cap head screw M3 M4 M5 M6 colourful aluminum hex socket machine screw

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Looks great. I was really interested to hear about the tri-air. When I bought my durolux they had a special where you get a free tri-air. The sentinel has a weird size shock so i just got a more common size and sold it without trying. I’ve been so impressed with the durolux that I always wished i got a tri air that i could space down and use...

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Looks great. I was really interested to hear about the tri-air. When I bought my durolux they had a special where you get a free tri-air. The sentinel has a weird size shock so i just got a more common size and sold it without trying. I’ve been so impressed with the durolux that I always wished i got a tri air that i could space down and use...
Cheers, yeah I've found the TriAir to be excellent. Definitely performs as well as much more expensive offerings.

My next fork purchase will be a durolux for sure, I have heard good things about them.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
The idea behind this experiment was to be able to run more rear travel but be able to run the stock travel for those xc days and well because new and shiny parts.

The 27.5" rear wheel allows me to get the geometry back close to stock.

Below is the difference between the two set-ups.

29"/29"

150mm/120mm (w/210x50mm)

BB 334mm

HA 65.5°

Bad Haircut Smuggler

29"/27.5"

150mm/139mm(ish)

BB 330mm approximately.

HA 65°

Updated specs (in bold):

Frame - 2018 Transition Smuggler Alloy Large w/custom chain-slap protector (EPDM squares underneath 50mm heat shrink) and crud flap.
Rear shock - SR Suntour TriAir 3CR 216x58 (have the 210x50 for those XC days)
Front shock/fork - 150mm Rockshox Revelation 35mm w/DIY DSD Runt (JBAC), with a Charger RC damper in place of the MOCO thingy.
Headset - FSA No. 57E
Grips - Deity Supracush
Saddle - WTB Volt Comp
Chainguide - None
Chain - KMC X11ER
Rear derailleur - NX
Cassette - NX 11 speed
Front hub - DT Swiss 350
Rear hub - DT Swiss 350
Front rim - XM481 29" (thanks @beeb)
Rear rim - EX511 27.5" (29" for xc days)
Front tyre - Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35
Rear tyre - WTB Trail Boss 2.4

beeb

The idea behind this experiment was to be able to run more rear travel but be able to run the stock travel for those xc days and well because new and shiny parts.

The 27.5" rear wheel allows me to get the geometry back close to stock.

Below is the difference between the two set-ups.

29"/29"

150mm/120mm (w/210x50mm)

BB 334mm

HA 65.5°

Bad Haircut Smuggler

29"/27.5"

150mm/139mm(ish)

BB 330mm approximately.

HA 65°

Updated specs (in bold):

Rear shock - SR Suntour TriAir 3CR 216x58 (have the 210x50 for those XC days)
Headset - FSA No. 57E
Grips - Deity Supracush
Saddle - WTB Volt Comp
Chainguide - None
Chain - KMC X11ER
Rear derailleur - NX
Cassette - NX 11 speed
Front hub - DT Swiss 350
Rear hub - DT Swiss 350
Front rim - XM481 29" (thanks @beeb)
Rear rim - EX511 27.5" (29" for xc days)
Front tyre - Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35
Rear tyre - WTB Trail Boss 2.4

View attachment 379526
View attachment 379527
View attachment 379528
Haha, it looks remarkably not different. (I think that's a good thing BTW)

Will be interesting to see how the differences translate on the trail, should be good I reckon. Just that little bit more travel to take the edges off the rocks a little more, but shouldn't change the pedalling efficiency too much. That 200mm rotor may end up being a bit too much for the "little" wheel out back though...

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Haha, it looks remarkably not different. (I think that's a good thing BTW)

Will be interesting to see how the differences translate on the trail, should be good I reckon. Just that little bit more travel to take the edges off the rocks a little more, but shouldn't change the pedalling efficiency too much. That 200mm rotor may end up being a bit too much for the "little" wheel out back though...
I know not very noticeable at all. Can't wait to get it out on some decent trails to see how it feels.

I had thought about the 200mm rotor haha. Might have to swap it out.

beeb

I had thought about the 200mm rotor haha. Might have to swap it out
Give it a shot first I reckon. Sometimes I wanted a 200 out back on the (mulleted) Waltly, but most of the time not. Potentially I'm biased though as you often can't use as much braking powers out back on a hardtail.

Channel all those skills you learnt with the ol' white wagon, lol.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Give it a shot first I reckon. Sometimes I wanted a 200 out back on the (mulleted) Waltly, but most of the time not. Potentially I'm biased though as you often can't use as much braking powers out back on a hardtail.

Channel all those skills you learnt with the ol' white wagon, lol.
Yeah will see how it goes.

Good point about hardtail vs dually. If I could channel the fact the white wagon's rear brakes were non-existent I'd be a much quicker rider hahahaha.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I know not very noticeable at all. Can't wait to get it out on some decent trails to see how it feels.

I had thought about the 200mm rotor haha. Might have to swap it out.
For what it’s worth a 200 on the back of my “little wheel” GG works great. Can be a tad much on occasional loose AF conditions but wouldn’t go back to a 180 that’s for sure.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
For what it’s worth a 200 on the back of my “little wheel” GG works great. Can be a tad much on occasional loose AF conditions but wouldn’t go back to a 180 that’s for sure.
Nice, good to know Jpez. Cheers.