Recent content by sobmal

1. S

ACT 2017 Mont 24hr

People have been getting silly and bent out of shape trying to get past slower riders since the very first single track was invented. take note of their number and let the nice people at the timing tent know about it.
  2. S

ACT 2017 Mont 24hr

Looking forward to this one, missed the last two for various reasons, last one I did was the rescheduled one and until then I hadn't missed any since way back @sparrow. Actually thinking about it.. I still have the very same 100mm 26in XC bike I rode at sparrow.. I bought it for XC club...
  3. S

Convict 100 on 3 weeks training

Exactly! the feeling of completing an epic 100 k struggle on a mountain bike. And I apologise if my earlier comments were perhaps taken as argumentative, not my intention. There's no shame in walking hills, sitting on the side of the track crying about cramps and taking all day to finish...
  4. S

Really? why even get off the couch then.. just watch it on the tele?? He's doing 100K+ road rides, so I'd assume that he's not going to drop dead of a heart attack at the first sign of a hill and that he'd know his limits with respect to fatigue and concentration. I think the real risk...
  5. S

Mont 24 advice

I do think the 30% offer seems a bit too little. But in the context of the actual cost to enter a race, the entry fee is only a very small part of the overall cost of being ready "bike fit" and attending this event, Heck.. I'd spend more on wear and tear on bike(s), after ride coffee's/beer...
  6. S

Just enter, learn and repeat cycling rule 5 to yourself when it gets hard and keep going. I got talked into entering my first bike race of any kind, actually it was most probably my first bike ride of more than about 30 kilometers at the time.. the dirtworks 100 (thats what the convict used...
  7. S

Mont 24 advice

yeah, it's sucks that the locals grab all the best sites.. but it's the same every year and generally works it self out, this year though they would have had an advantage of picking most of the high ground spots. anyhow regarding cancelling events based on long range weather forecast...
  8. S

Mont 24 advice

Last year the Mont weather was perfect, but I learnt my lesson about canberra March/April weather in the couple Monts before that, previously it was last a sparrow when we had mild weather. Thus I bring every warm piece of riding gear I own.. as well as a very toasty warm jacket, a beanie and...
  9. S

Saturday or Sunday? When do you like to race?

Sunday and Saturday. Sunday for Enduro. Saturday for XC races and shorter events. I think there’s a difference for the type of race, for 100K races I like Sunday because most events involve driving reasonable distances and camping, I like to travel Saturday afternoon, arrive in daylight...
  10. S

The Mont 2012 - Trail conditions

I'm surprised by the silence here? but anyhow to everyone and anyone who went out and worked on the trails over the weekend; thanks!! you can pick up a cold beer or three from my esky anytime from Friday lunchtime. To the total tools that rode the trails instead?... well... NO soup for you!!
  11. S

Mountains to Beach

pretty sure it rained solidly the week before last years race as well? (although no floods) but the route was pretty much dry and a bunch of fun.. actually it was a freakin awesome 5 days! Hints? eat plenty, drink heaps and look after your but and try to keep the rubber side down, remember...
  12. S

Highland Fling 2011

The start of the fling "as is" is perfect, I look forward to seeing the elites blast past the punters (me..) somewhere between transition 1 and Wingello.. why change it if there's been no real issue apart from some hypotheticals mentioned here?
  13. S

Is the FS 26" XC bike dead?

personally I think my 26in frames are more nimble, ( I have 2 of each) I won't be getting rid of my 26in steeds anytime soon, in fact I think theres some big challenges with chainstay length, big chain rings and Q factor in 29 FS frames that people should be wary of.
  14. S

2011 SRAM Singletrack Mind Series

fun course, but.. had a blast until I impaled my leg on a tree on the rock between two trees a few K's in just after the rocky climb, ghastly thing to look at when you can see your bone and tendons with bits of bark and dirt all mixed up in your leg :-( the riders that stopped were great, one...