Recent content by Sea_mtbr

1. S

Help with rim choice .

I ah to agree that the crest rims do not take abuse well - that's not what they are designed for. That said, my front crest rim is going strong where my rear disintegrated under the abuse I was giving it (drops to flat, missed gaps, general poor freeriding). If you make the switch to flows...
  2. S

Fork Lubricating

Good to know, but it seems to have worked for years. Downfall is that it seems to collect a lot of dust which could be negative if it drags it down into the seals. I'll still with a very lite lube from now on.
  3. S

Front Delrailieur 3 speed to 2 speed ?

Ran a 3 speed front der with 2 chain rings for years. No issues - as stated just adjust the limit screw.
  4. S

Fork Lubricating

Slick honey? Haven't seen any mention of slick honey grease product on the stations ? I've used it for years. It's a much thinner grease than normal bearing grease. I just wipe a very thin film on the stations, seems to do the trick with reducing friction.
  5. S

Greasing Tallboy Pivots

Even using a torque wrench I busted the pivot cap bolt off in the frame. Drilling out a bolt on a carbon frame was unsettling to say the least. I concluded that the brake was because I was using too big of a torque wrench - the required torque was in the bottom 10% of the wrench I was using...
  6. S

Leave as is, upgrade frame, sell or part out

$300 would be tough You have some nice components on your bike and swapping them out would be a noble effort, but given the number of special fit parts on today's mtb (bottom bracket, front der, headset...) you would be spending a heap to make the swap. I would first take a look at...
  7. S

Fox CTD rear suspension

It depends on the ride and rider I think it's been pointed out many times in this thread that different suspension designs play a significant role in the usability and sensitivity of the ctd feature. I've had a number of bikes that truly benefitted from the climb and descend modes and others I...
  8. S

Custon tune/2013 Fox 34 Talas mod

I pulled this from a pinkbike article. $100 for the upgrade (not including shipping) seems like a steal. May be a good time to get it serviced while it's there. "Those who have 2013 CTD forks haven't been left out in the cold, either, with FOX offering a relatively inexpensive upgrade...
  9. S

1x10 without a chainguide

Wolftooth I also just swapped my 2x10 drivetrain to 1x10 using a wolftooth thin wide gxp chainring. I saved just about 350 grams and don't miss the front der/ extra chainring a bit. It looks fantastic, although I kind of wish I went for the red one. Mountainbikedirect.com.au was the...
  10. S

Disc brake question?

When to replace While I tend to agree that they don't wear out easily, it may be worth swapping them out under a few of conditions: - they are so bent that they can not be straightened. A rubbing rotor cuts down of efficiency greatly - your riding style warrants a different size rotor...
  11. S

Greasing Tallboy Pivots

Pivot removal I've found it relatively productive to actual remove the end caps, remove the pivot axle and grease directly. I always made a mess of that grease gun. It will allow you to clean out any dirt and grime, inspect pivot integrity and retorque to the spec with loctite. I didn't do...