Recent content by nelo784

1. nelo784

Singlespeed Road Bike - gearing?

Try and try again I run 43-16 in Sydney with a number of hills thrown in including Bondi road, Woollahra gate hill in centennial park and Kippax street in town on my commute. Much of the choice will come down to how long the hills are, how young you are (pressure on those knees), and how much...
  2. nelo784

26 vs 29er

If you are getting back into riding and you are 6.1 then I would definitely go the 29er. For a hardtail they can't be beat for comfort and useability. I ride both, but I'm little! Being under 5.9, you have to get the geometry just right, and it works better with a rigid fork. For you, no such...
  3. nelo784

New Bike buyer- advice please :) carbon or non carbon :P

If you are planning to go second hand, carbon is always a little chancey as it is difficult to pick up damage. Often fractures can be hidden or internal. Your choice will also depend on the kind of riding you do. I would always recommend people start with a good steel frame if you can get one...
  4. nelo784

Quality Wheelmaker?

Bob or Bernie at Stanmore Cycles also come recommended. Bob has just built a set of Mavic 819/Hope Pro II wheels for me that are great. I also have 2 sets of race wheels built by Stanmore.
  5. nelo784

Post your Roadie

A nice Baum steel custom frame with a touch of pink for something just a little bit different!
  6. nelo784

How fast?

Don't want to spoil the party, but I would be getting my speedo checked!!
  7. nelo784

Fixed wheel

Just remember that if you get a complete wheel you are left to the vagaries of mediocre wheel builds. If you get a good wheel builder to do your wheels, you are likely to be much happier for a longer time! I have found that factory wheel builds are often sub-standard, and you end up paying...
  8. nelo784

The Single Speed Thread

They already do all their frames as a 29er if you choose. That is one of the benefits of custom, adjusted geometry to suit the rider. One of their sponsored riders in the States was on a Titanium 29er with rigid fork.
  9. nelo784

Road riding tips

I think the best piece of advice is to get with a group and ask them about etiquette and approach. You should feel comfortable in the group, but importantly they should be of a similar fitness level and helpfu in making you welcome. Getting things right in a group ride is very important and will...
  10. nelo784

Second hand purchasing of Roadie and sizing. Please help.

No matter how you look at it, a 59cms for 5.11" is too big. You will find it frustrating and painful to try and fit the ride to the person. Importantly, it is difficult to make a judgement on size without knowing in-seam measurements, as torso length is v.important to bike sizing. Personally I...
  11. nelo784

The 29er thread.

Just wondering with your 29er brigade, do you use standard rear hubs with spacers or single speed specific hubs? DO people have a preference here? I am wanting to go the 29er route, but would like to use some old hubs that are lying around, but they are not sinlge speed specific. WHat is the go?
  12. nelo784

Getting into xc, 'dales, XTC?

For me, you would be crazy to go past the Giant if it is value for money you are looking for. My experience with my brothers' C'dale is that the lower end lefty suspension is average at best, and the headshock system just does not give you the full travel claimed. At the high end, things are...
  13. nelo784

Tough Choice FOX F80 RLC or SID Teams?

I have gone from a SID Race '07 to Fox RLC80. I find the Fox much less fiddly to adjust and more robust. I also think the rebound is superior. Having said that, the SID has been completely redesigned for '08 and feedback is that it is altogether different from the forks of old.
  14. nelo784

UST tyre recomendation

Yeah, I agree. I now go Larsens on the rear and Ignitors on the front. I find this is a nice balance and great for general trails and mixed riding.
  15. nelo784

Interbike '08

Ironically there is now talk they are going to come up with their own integrated headset. Now doubt they will talk about making an all 'new' bed. I quite like their products, and have one of their headsets on my road bike, but I also think it is a very good case of marketing $ premium!