Recent content by bingobong

1. B

National 24 solo champs in 2011?

I'm most interested in the Easter 24 Solo supposedly being held at Stromlo in 5 weeks time however entries are still not open and no details except for a placeholder on the CORC website: http://www.solo24hour.com.au/
  2. B

National 24 solo champs in 2011?

+1 this is getting quite ridiculous. Apart from the training aspect some of us also need to make flight and accomodation bookings. There must be some good reason for the delay but a little bit of communication would be appreciated.
  3. B

would 160mm XT disc be ok on the front?

I first ran a 160mm front rotor on my 29er it was ok but I felt like I lost some of the bite that I had with a 160mm front rotor on my 26er. I now run a front 180mm rotor on the 29er and braking feels comaprable to the 160mm on the 26er. You can get away with a 160mm front rotor on the 29er...
  4. B

garmin edge 500

Perfect thanks for that. I'm planning to try it with the Edge 500 at the Australian Solo 24hr Champs at Easter - or whatever they call it and if/when they ever announce it! Otherwise might have to wait for the Scott.
  5. B

garmin edge 500

GPS Battery Life I've always meant to try this out but has anyone ever turned off the GPS satelite receiver and just run the HR, cadence and speed sensor? Maybe that's one way to get the Edge 500 to last 24hrs by turning off the GPS receiver after the first few laps as you don't really need...
  6. B

garmin edge 500

Personally I think it's great. All GPS computers have a range of accuracy and they all can get confused in tight twisty single track with switchbacks. Alot depends on the signal strength, your moving speed and the sample rate you set. i.e. you can set it up to record data points every 1...
  7. B

Jet Black 24 Hours 2011

Worlds 24 qualification? Does anyone know if the Jet Black has World 24 Solo qualification like last year?
  8. B

Wombat track status

Ditto and thanks for the updates. Work has me posted overseas right now and I recently flew in for the Angry Doctor Mogo and was really gutted when it was cancelled. I'm flying in again for this one on Friday so not keen to waste another trip if looking unlikely.
  9. B

Wombat track status

Bump for this I'm really interested to know and also quite a few people travelling a long way for this (some from overseas) - would really appreciate any info on track status from anyone who has ridden the DW 100km tracks recently. Thanks.
  10. B

2011 Scalpel vs Giant Anthem

Top of the line 2011 Scalpel is quoted at 8.4kg out of the box. http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/06/22/2011-cannondale-scalpel-redesigned-full-suspension-xc-race-rocket/
  11. B

Dirtworks Victoria - which bike?

Personally I would race the Yeti out of those two (assuming it has a lockout/propedal). I won't get into the debate of whether HT or dually is faster but certainly it's hardly any weight difference for the extra comfort of the Yeti - and 100km is still a long way even on a non-technical course.
  12. B

Dirtworks Victoria - which bike?

I did both 100km courses (Dirtworks NSW and Vic) on a Cannondale Rush last year. I would stay with the dually for NSW but am taking the 29er HT for Vic this year. The course is mainly buff singletrack and some fire road except for a short bumpy pine forest section you do right at the start but...
  13. B

Switching Between 26 inch and 29 inch

Once you learn how to ride a 26er and a 29er it's no big issue switching between the two. People have been doing it for years - training on their 29 inch wheel road bikes and racing on their 26 inch wheel mountain bikes.
  14. B

Kenda Karma 29er Tyres

Karma's run best tubeless I have been running the 29x1.9 Karma's tubeless on a 29er HT for the last couple of months. I started running them at about 30psi on the rear and whilst it was fast there was little grip - the tyre felt skittish on hardpack/loose with poor braking traction initally I...
  15. B

Jet Black 24 Hours 2011

Jet Black 24hr is a great set-up around the resort. The event this year was let down by the rain and mud as with alot of other events but the organisers still managed to put on a good race including an alternate track when the main one got too dangerous. It seems like the weather gods...