new ride<<<

Ryan

Radministrator
That is farkin sweet dude, the welded on disc tab may one day be an uprade for my Trailstar, so make sure you post if anything ever goes wrong with em :)

CHEWY

Eats Squid
thats so nice. buy it as a complete bike or frame? is that a older frame it doesnt look much like the 03's, u think it'd be any good as a freerider?

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CHEWY said:
thats so nice. buy it as a complete bike or frame? is that a older frame it doesnt look much like the 03's, u think it'd be any good as a freerider?
I bought the frame out of the trading post, got some parts mail order (fork, front wheel, front brake, headset...) and some stuff of my old bike (drivetrain, back wheel, cockpit...) Yeah it is the first frame (mk1) i think, you can only fit about a 2.2" tire when you run a 26" wheel in the back... It would make a decent freerider if you slack it out like i have, if you have a 26/26 wheels and a 4" fork it has a 71degree head angle which is quite steep for freeriding... mine's probably about 69 now which is good for the fast stuff.

Turley said:
Sweet biek dude.. just need to get an avid for the rear now!
thanks. Yeah maybe one day, the hayes does alright in the back for now

andrew said:
sweeet
what tyre is that on the rear?
24x2.35" Kujo, Used a big fat marker to colour in the orange sidewalls

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kalem said:
I bought the frame out of the trading post
andrew said:
sweeet

what tyre is that on the rear?
24x2.35" Kujo, Used a big fat marker to colour in the orange sidewalls
:eek: i almost bought that exact frame! :D
sweet job with teh tyre too, hows it treating you?

Ty

Eats Squid
sweet bike kalem, few questions, is that the same frame as a planet X bomber but with horizontal drop-outs? what kind of import duty/GST did you have to pay to get stuff in from unreal? and can i have a ride?

you should also probably zip-tie that rear mech cable down before it causes any problems.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Kalem, did you have to pay any duty on the stuff from Unreal Cycles, being that it came from the states? Were there any hassles with your overseas order? How much did they charge you for shipping?

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Came out pretty damn sweet dude. Gotta love all black bikes. And the rear disc job looks top notch. But whats going on with the bell ya fruit ? And hows it ride compared to the Norco ??

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ty` said:
sweet bike kalem, few questions, is that the same frame as a planet X bomber but with horizontal drop-outs? what kind of import duty/GST did you have to pay to get stuff in from unreal? and can i have a ride?

you should also probably zip-tie that rear mech cable down before it causes any problems.
I imagine it would be similar to the bommer.. they seem to be designed for the same purpose, plus both of their early models (mine included) had too thin tubing on the downtube(easy to dent).

I got the DJ3, 2x24" Kujo's and a Planet-x Headlock for US$395 (about AU$660) including US$70 shipping, though Ben did do a good deal for me. Took about four weeks to arrive. No import/GST shit. By the way DJ3's retail for $700 in australia...

zip tie? yeah already done, and a sweet chainstay protector made from a car door seal, the quietest one yet!

Gutty said:
Came out pretty damn sweet dude. Gotta love all black bikes. And the rear disc job looks top notch. But whats going on with the bell ya fruit ? And hows it ride compared to the Norco ??
The bell gets people out of your way! Rides heaps better, the 250 was way low in the front, I feel heaps comfortable on it already, i'm stoked :mrgreen:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
kalem said:
Gutty said:
Came out pretty damn sweet dude. Gotta love all black bikes. And the rear disc job looks top notch. But whats going on with the bell ya fruit ?
The bell gets people out of your way!
PLUS... if ya bought a "pinger", it dings like crazy when you're riding burly terrain. That's your bike telling you it's STOKED!!! :D When it's quiet... well, it just doesn't think much of what/where you're riding at the time. :cry:

I took a closer look at Unreal Cycles site as well. Damn. I feel strongly about supportying my LBSs but a Rohloff Speedhub (it's good to see a site as hardcore as them endorsing it...) is $875 USD over there... That's less than $1400 AUD over here! The best I've found for retail for a Rohloff out here is like $1950! I'm savin' up right now!

Imagine the drivetrain... horizontal dropouts, Profile BMX crankset up front(36 tooth), Rohloff in the back(15 tooth), clean chain line, no hanging bits, full gear range... ooooooh :mrgreen:

Might have to sell some more parts. Race Face stem anyone?

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Techno Destructo said:
PLUS... if ya bought a "pinger", it dings like crazy when you're riding burly terrain. That's your bike telling you it's STOKED!!! :D When it's quiet... well, it just doesn't think much of what/where you're riding at the time. :cry:

I took a closer look at Unreal Cycles site as well. Damn. I feel strongly about supportying my LBSs but a Rohloff Speedhub (it's good to see a site as hardcore as them endorsing it...) is $875 USD over there... That's less than $1400 AUD over here! The best I've found for retail for a Rohloff out here is like $1950! I'm savin' up right now!

Imagine the drivetrain... horizontal dropouts, Profile BMX crankset up front(36 tooth), Rohloff in the back(15 tooth), clean chain line, no hanging bits, full gear range... ooooooh :mrgreen:

Might have to sell some more parts. Race Face stem anyone?
yeah i fully understand supporting the LBS, but when all you do is go in and ask them to order something, then what have they done for you? I know most LBS's can't afford to stock high-end mtb gear, i don't expect them to. For this bike i decided to get everything on the internet (except the seatpost clamp which after three weeks they couldn't find the right size, so i got it on the internet as well...) I'm extremely happy with the service i've got from the online retailers, i'll definetly buy more stuff from bikefanatic and phantom cycles, quality australian buisnesses!

yeah a rohloff would be insanly PIMP!

S.

ex offender
I'm seriously considering setting up a small mail-order business while I'm in uni... just like Unreal Cycles. Only high end stuff, minimise overheads (ie one-man operation), minimise prices. I was half thinking of running it out of this shop front down the road from me (in a side street - probably pretty cheap, and nice and small); just to provide the Aussie mtb scene with a sub-retail outlet. I love my LBS, they've been great to me, but like most people I can't afford most of the high end stuff because I have to pay pretty much retail for it. I don't want to be putting anyone out of business; I just want to provide cheap stuff for those who are ABLE to install it themselves and who know what they want - ie they don't need the help of LBS staff.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
I'm seriously considering setting up a small mail-order business while I'm in uni... just like Unreal Cycles. Only high end stuff, minimise overheads (ie one-man operation), minimise prices. I was half thinking of running it out of this shop front down the road from me (in a side street - probably pretty cheap, and nice and small); just to provide the Aussie mtb scene with a sub-retail outlet. I love my LBS, they've been great to me, but like most people I can't afford most of the high end stuff because I have to pay pretty much retail for it. I don't want to be putting anyone out of business; I just want to provide cheap stuff for those who are ABLE to install it themselves and who know what they want - ie they don't need the help of LBS staff.
Maybe you should speak to Justin......have a melbourne and sydney store ??