Rors' non-theoretical pipedream stuffabout hoon bike

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I like the theory. I’ll stick a towel down and give it a bash!
Hose length is about spot on so I don’t need to cut it down
Very fancy with the towel :)

Just remember the hose will now go to the other lever, the direction it comes off the frame and around the headtube may be something to consider before starting.
It's all external so at worst, it may mean unclipping and routing the caliper around later.

PJO

in me vL comy
You're so close @Rorschach, lets see this done and ridden by Christmas!!!

BTW the brake hose swap is a doddle. I've done quite a few Shimano hose length shortenings and a brake hose swap without a bleed.
The only thing I do extra is take the pads out and advance the caliper pistons out a little (say 1mm), no need to advance them too far and if they are already advanced a bit then just leave them where they are.
Swap lines (or cut and put in new olive and barb) and hook it all back up, now push the pistons back into the caliper to remove the little bubble you might have created at the lever.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Rideable by Christmas is do-able!

Given the amount of people saying how easy it is, I'll give the brake swap a bash. I'll just swap them for now, I think the length is about right
I'll also pick up a bleed kit, something like one of these Ali Express ones so I can have more of a fiddle down the track

Rorschach

Got some time on this last night, and worked on the drivetrain and swapped the wheels from the Banshee
As I got towards the large cassette cogs, the chain started jumping off the chainring so I think I have a spacer on the drive side that shouldn't be there. I'll try and get that
Also noticed the headset is loose so I need to fix that up.
Once I've got this dialled its brakes and tweaking fit, and going over and making sure nothing is loose!

Rorschach

Ok, I’ve taken this as far as my skills and patience will allow me.
It’s together, but it’s going to my mechanic to diagnose my stuff-ups and get it purring. I didn’t end up switching my brakes over as I’m really time poor and I just want to ride the damn thing!
It looks good though - like a big dirt jumper which is what I was after!
Needs some fit tweaking too and I also think I should have gone with a tan saddle but ah well

Shakedown ride this weekend with any luck!

Rorschach

Looks great! Will be a fun ride. But you could have swapped your brake hoses over in the time it took you to post that photo...
Highly likely, but I have my reasons. Wife is 8 months preggers so getting time to do anything is really tough at the minute. She’s struggling to pick up the kids so I’m doing everything, and not stopping til 830, in bed by 9 and then up at 530 with the kids again, so I’m smashed
I’ve learnt a lot just getting this far and I’m happy with what I’ve gotten done considering my mechanical ineptness

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Highly likely, but I have my reasons. Wife is 8 months preggers so getting time to do anything is really tough at the minute. She’s struggling to pick up the kids so I’m doing everything, and not stopping til 830, in bed by 9 and then up at 530 with the kids again, so I’m smashed
I’ve learnt a lot just getting this far and I’m happy with what I’ve gotten done considering my mechanical ineptness
So you’ll actually get to ride it in 6 months time?

Will catch up for a ride again next year some time.

Rorschach

So you’ll actually get to ride it in 6 months time?

Will catch up for a ride again next year some time.
Ha, half the reason I wanted it finished is so I can ride it before the new one comes along! That and I have a bike I can take the kids on rather than the Prime. It’s an excuse to take the oldest to the pump track or a ride around the lake and stuff like that
Am going to try and keep up a weekly ride but that will likely take a backseat for a bit

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Sorry, re-read that and it comes across as a dig it wasn't intended to be! Just meant that as you say you've learned a lot by doing and while anything related to brake fluids/hoses seems intimidating (took me years before I attempted my first brake bleed just because it seemed hard), swapping hoses in particular, and especially on Shimano/mineral oil brakes, is super straightforward, would take you all of 5 minutes, and afterwards you'll be like "why tf did I think that was going to be a challenge!?" But yes fully appreciate there are other things that are higher priority for commitment of time and energy!

Last edited:

Rorschach

Sorry, re-read that and it comes across as a dig it wasn't intended to be! Just meant that as you say you've learned a lot by doing and while anything related to brake fluids/hoses seems intimidating (took me years before I attempted my first brake bleed just because it seemed hard), swapping hoses in particular, and especially on Shimano/mineral oil brakes, is super straightforward, would take you all of 5 minutes, and afterwards you'll be like "why tf did I think that was going to be a challenge!?" But yes fully appreciate there are other things that are higher priority for commitment of time and energy!
All good, I didn't take it as a dig - I know it wouldn't have taken long but my capacity for doing things in the evening is pretty non-existent at the minute!

Rorschach

Way too much sleep :oops: ;) :D

You need to pump those awake numbers up.
I said in bed, I didn't say asleep
I go to bed, the wife wants to talk to me for an hour, then I need to read, then the damn cat wants attention then I fall asleep around 11 and I can guarantee one of the kids will wake during the night too!