Mixed up rear derailleur - Shadow XTR, Shadow Plus XT and Zee for good measure

SummitFever

Eats Squid
A stick on Monday night created a sudden need to build another rear derailleur. My first instinct was to make contact with the black hole of MTB parts accretion: Moorey. He let me down big-time by not having the thing I needed. Indeed, it was worse than that. He had the thing I wanted, but had already put it to good use for his own selfish purposes, thereby frustrating my attempts to bludge it off him. The nerve...

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I was able to scrounge enough bits together to produce this fine amalgamation of Shitmano shifting pleasure:

More info on the Shadow XTR, Shadow Plus XT and Zee mash-up abomination here.

To keep things interesting, I'm using an 11 speed M9000 XTR shifter with this 10 speed RD and 10 speed Sunrace 11-40t cassette. It's a mixed up world alright...

If anyone wants to donate me some broken rear derailleurs for the price of postage, I will put them to good use :).

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Well done ,the cage arm usually bends . I have replaced one of these with another model = no problem.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm confused about how you get an 11 speed shifter to work with 10sp cassette? Isn't the gear spacing different?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm confused about how you get an 11 speed shifter to work with 10sp cassette? Isn't the gear spacing different?
I think there might be a super minor difference, but I've recently fitted a Shimano xt m8000 derailleur on a 10 speed cassette with no issues what so ever.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Basically works like this. 11 speed shifter pulls 3.6mm of cable each click. Ideally, a 10 speed rear derailleur wants 3.4mm of cable pull, but 3.6 is close enough for it to work OK. You can put a washer underneath the cable attachment point and this will lengthen the arm and get the pull ratio perfect but it's really not necessary.

You do need to fine tune the shifting so its perfect in the middle of the cassette (same shift speed up and down) and then the runout/error at the extremes is not enough to cause issues. Also, tune the shift so that the 11th click is effectively locked out by the limit screw for the big cog (otherwise that 11th click will shift the chain into your spokes).

stirk

Burner
This thing is awesome! I was hoping the link would lead to a pictorial account of what you did to make it :(

Now you just need to post some discreet pics of your bike on some other forums and wait for the keen eyed folk to do a double take and ask WTF!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory the Shimano 9spd derailleurs where the last ones to work with their road shifters, so in theory you can use them with a 10/11spd cassette and a road shifter for your monstercross fanatics out there.

But now wolftooth has an inline converter so you can use road shifters with modern MTB derailleurs so you can have that sweet sweet clutched chain retention

...if you're into that sort of thing

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
From memory the Shimano 9spd derailleurs were the last ones to work with their road shifters, so in theory you can use them with a 10/11spd cassette and a road shifter for your monstercross fanatics out there.
Up to 10-sp, with the exception of current-series Tiagra. Tiagra & road 11-sp. work on a different cable pull ratio, which isn't compatible with any MTB derailleurs.
PS: fixed your spelling too.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
From memory the Shimano 9spd derailleurs where the last ones to work with their road shifters, so in theory you can use them with a 10/11spd cassette and a road shifter for your monstercross fanatics out there.

But now wolftooth has an inline converter so you can use road shifters with modern MTB derailleurs so you can have that sweet sweet clutched chain retention

...if you're into that sort of thing
I can confirm that 10sp road shifter works with 9sp mtb rear derailleur. Apparently 11sp road works with 10sp mtb. Jtek also do a inline converter for the front derailleur.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember stumbling across a site that listed a complete Shimano compatibility list in regards to shifters/derailleurs etc.

I've currently got my steel hardtail on the trainer with some old road bars bolted on to see what the comfort level is like (over 20hrs now and I'm liking the extra hand positions), so I'm thinking of trying a monstercross transition build for a bit of fun.

But it's currently running an XT 11spd derailleur and cassette so I'm thinking the easiest way will be the wolftooth adapter with some cheap Shimano road shifters. The other part of the equation is brakes. I've picked up some old avid bb7 cable brakes to see if the cable pull on a road shifter will work with them.

And I'll probably just go back to flat bars in the end

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think there might be a super minor difference, but I've recently fitted a Shimano xt m8000 derailleur on a 10 speed cassette with no issues what so ever.
Sorry for the mega grave dig...... did this work sufficiently?? What cassette did you use?