Help me build a bike toolset list

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I just fixed up my son's bike, cleaned and degreased my chain and adjusted the gears oh so slightly and it was all a massive ball ache because I lack decent tools and a bike stand.

With talk of now both my children potentially getting decent bikes, I think it's time I went all in and became the family bike mechanic rather than some shiny wheels I can spaff all my money on (I still want to do that haha).

I'm won't be building wheels, cutting steerer tubes or inserting star nuts just yet and I don't want to go full retard Park Tools so can you help me build a shopping list of the things I need to be able to strip a bike, learn how it all works and keep it in tip top condition (e.g. taking off the cassette, crank, bottom bracket etc..)?

Bonus points if I can buy from the same store to get some free delivery!

Scotty675

Cable thief
Hammer, cassette tool, hammer, chain whip, hammer, decent Allan keys, hammer, bottom bracket tool x lots (think I have 4 I use regularly), hammer, 2mm Allan key screwdriver (so much easier for adjusting gears), hammer, comfy seat for watching you tube, hammer oh did I mention hammer

HamboCairns

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something like this would probably work I would have thought? I seem to just have accumulated these things bit by bit over the years...https://www.wiggle.com.au/lifeline-bike-tool-kit-18-piece?lang=au&curr=AUD&dest=27&sku=105205758&kpid=105205758&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQiApY6BBhCsARIsAOI_GjYz97nBoqoar8Wep7mXX7llknUx5MnQ2bjXKMA8c90z2I06HZ1QvXIaAr_yEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a shimano guy so here is a basic list of the stuff I have in both my home and away tool kits. Most of it I bought from places like Total Tools or Sydney tools. I'm a nerd and hate crappy tools so it's all quality and wasn't too expensive. I reckon the below would be the minimum you'd need if you were doing bikes regularly.

Allen Keys
2mm for derailleur adjustment
2.5mm for shimano brake bleed ports
3mm for grip screws
4mm for headsets, shifters and brake levers
5mm for attaching derailleurs, headsets, saddles and shimano cranks
6mm for pedals and rear axles
8mm for pedals and rear axles
T25 torx for brake rotor bolts

If you are working on Carbon bikes a torque wrench is a good idea. This is one place I wouldn't buy one of those shit Xtools ones. They go out of calibration at the drop of a hat if they ever where in calibration and they aren't super accurate to set.

Phillips head screw driver with a medium length shaft for shimano shift cable cover screw

Chain whip and lock ring tool

Rubber mallet

Side cutters for trimming cables
Pliers for holding cables whilst adjusting derailleur screw

A bleed kit something like this EZbleed brake bleed kit
7mm open end spanner for brake bleed ports
8mm open end spanner for brake hose collet at brake lever end

Various sizes of cable ties (A must in any tool kit)
Cable tie cutters (if cut incorrectly they are sharper than a fucking Ninjas Katana)

Roll of electrical tape (I use black nitto tape as rim tape)

You mentioned you won't be cutting steerer tubes but when you do grab one of these: -
Bahco Pipe Cutter
It's cheaper, faster and does every bit as good a job.

A work stand something like this is cheap and does the job although if you spend the bucks you will get something much better: -
Bike work stand
and I believe you can get the same one from Aldi although I cannot confirm. I also suggest one of these: -
Bike Floor stand
it's $20 bucks. I prefer to bleed my brakes with the bike level or even front wheel up so that all the bubbles work their way out. This makes it super easy.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
^ good list right there.

I would add proper cable cutters as well as the side cutters. Being able to cut shift cable outers cleanly ensures smooth shifting, and they also cut inners neatly too. Keep the side cutters for cable ties, but make sure the cutting edges aren’t bevelled on the outside face.

Carbon bikes or not, a torque wrench is still very useful for brakes, brake rotors, stems, seat posts, cranks (mainly Shimano), pedals, fork lower / air side servicing. Believe mtb direct has a “cleanskin” 2-24Nm torque wrench which would cover 90% of your needs - no experience with it personally but seems reasonable.

if you’re going to do home wrenching, don’t forget all the consumables you’ll also need to start collecting such as good quality grease and grease gun, chain lube, degreaser (get citrus cleaner from Bunnings and a spray bottle), brake cleaner, tubeless tyre gear (tape, valves, valve remover, spare valve inserts, sealant, syringe), spare shift cable inners, end crimps (@Scotty T will sort you out, no I don’t get a commission), bag of rags, isopropyl alcohol, etc.

Minlak

custom titis
Stop trying to buy cheap shit in a package - Buy a tool - buy it once - keep it forever - sure might take a little bit to build up but in the long run you have only paid once.
Let me tell you what has become known as "The Bunnings Story"
I decided to build a fence blocking off half the yard - Did the right thing and contacted Dial Before You Dig - never looked at the results - Drove a crow bar straight through a drainage pipe - Went to Bunnings and bought the pvc pipe I needed and a $9 hacksaw with blade to cut the pipe - 20 mins later went to Bunnings and bought the pvc I needed again and the $42 hacksaw and some spare blades - The cheap tool would not and could not cut straight to save its life. That hacksaw I bought I have had for 6 years and used it countless times with never an issue.

BUY ONCE and BUY QUALITY

Last edited:

Scotty675

Cable thief
I agree with buy quality the first time. You probably won’t and buy a kit to start out. I bough a bike hand (I think) tool kit when I started. I still have chain whip and cassette tool, everything else was rubbish. Actually I did keep the 15mm cone spanner and carry it to remove training wheels on the fly. The Allan keys in those kits will be butter. Never start with the ball end. You will find yourself buying bits and pieces as fillers to get free shipping.
Last nights order I bought a 7/9mm flare spanner to get me over the line. Last week I bought a flat face socket set to add to a brake adapter to get me over the line. Then before long you will be buying abbey tools

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Do you think is ok?

or this?

Being a fitter by trade I have always had generic hand tools.

Someone (my ex I think) bought me a cheap ebay version of that second kit ten years ago. Surprisingly it has been fairly good. My only gripe would be the pressed cone spanners were made out of cheese.

Other tools I have added since are:

BB tool (both spanner and socket).

Quick link pliers.

Circlip pliers.

Dust wiper installation tools.

T-handle allen keys.

HamboCairns

Stop trying to buy cheap shit in a package - Buy a tool - buy it once - keep it forever - sure might take a little bit to build up but in the long run you have only paid once.
Let me tell you what has become known as "The Bunnings Story"
I decided to build a fence blocking off half the yard - Did the right thing and contacted Dial Before You Dig - never looked at the results - Drove a crow bar straight through a drainage pipe - Went to Bunnings and bought the pvc pipe I needed and a $9 hacksaw with blade to cut the pipe - 20 mins later went to Bunnings and bought the pvc I needed again and the $42 hacksaw and some spare blades - The cheap tool would not and could nut cut straight to save its life. That hacksaw I bought I have had for 6 years and used it countless times with never an issue.

BUY ONCE and BUY QUALITY
So those Lifeline kits are crap?

Minlak

custom titis
So those Lifeline kits are crap?
Maybe half the stuff in the kit you would probably never replace - but if I am mounting or removing components I want to know that the tool interface (screw driver - allen keys - sockets) is as good as it can be. Stripping or rounding out these things can be devastating to your budget.

Minlak

custom titis
Well yes I have two children's bikes and my wife has a Trek Marlin, oh and and an older 2014 Giant Talon 2 which definitely uses cup and cone.
Then yes they will be useful - But as mentioned above the ones in this kit may or may not be made of butter so useless anyway. Only $13 for these