LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
That's the one, there's just no mention of the remote on your site :)

I agree, the Alphas are a fantastic small form light and plenty bright, I've had mine on my bars for a couple of years now and combined with a small light on my helmet the combo is enough.

But I'm building a 24hr race set, so the Alphas are going to be mounted to my helmet. The XSV set will be on the bars, set at the same output as the Alphas, for a 6 hour (claimed) run time.

I'll need a couple more batteries to get the total run I'll need, but I'm stuck in Vic so there's no rush for that.
Dirty weekend 2021 solo?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
You must have the deluxe model, every chinese charge I've ever had just has red and green for the LED's. The cut off voltage and charge current varies a bit between the various chargers in my collection but you are aiming for 8.4 Volts (assuming this is the typical 2S installation) when charged, check with a multi meter.
I think the amber might be the green. Doesn't look green to me but I am colour blind so...

moorey

call me Mia
Mine hover around orange sometimes when almost charged. I also generally unplug and replug for another final bit of juice.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I was planning to start with Melrose this year, but that's unlikely.

So yes, Dirty Weekend 2021 is the plan. At the start of the year BJ mentioned something about doing it as a pair, but that was an eternity ago
Pairs sound great but had a mate who organised a pair for the wombat 24hr yrs ago, the night b4 the race partner pulls the pin, my mate rocks up & just switches to solo - went thru 8 bottles of cheap cola he spent an hr or 2 shaking the bubbles out of the night b4, clown rode first 8 hrs or so with fork locked out also..go get it jeremy

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I was planning to start with Melrose this year, but that's unlikely.
Don't think restrictions will lift? I'm a maybe as I've got a kid due any minute.

So yes, Dirty Weekend 2021 is the plan. At the start of the year BJ mentioned something about doing it as a pair, but that was an eternity ago
FWIW committing to Solo is the same as pairs.

But I'm building a 24hr race set, so the Alphas are going to be mounted to my helmet. The XSV set will be on the bars, set at the same output as the Alphas, for a 6 hour (claimed) run time.
I'll need a couple more batteries to get the total run I'll need, but I'm stuck in Vic so there's no rush for that.
You'll want to really know your run times and have battery swaps dialled.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I paid $30 for years of bright light and 3h run time. Sooooo...ok?
Do you run yours on high? You got lucky Moorey! My mates and I have a few pairs between us and get a couple of hours out of them. Don't get me wrong, for the price they're a bloody bargain, but we have never got the runtimes they claim. I found mine would drop back from high to med if they got too hot too...

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the one, there's just no mention of the remote on your site :)

I agree, the Alphas are a fantastic small form light and plenty bright, I've had mine on my bars for a couple of years now and combined with a small light on my helmet the combo is enough.

I am interested to hear about your set up once you get it going.

For 24 hr races I guess you need more powerful lights for tired eyes and to blind your competitors :)

I have the Alphas on the bar with the wide beam and the spot on the helmet. Both running the smaller batteries.
I climb in the low setting to save juice for the descent, so I can get a 3 hr ride in no problem with plenty of light on a solo rode.

I am thinking if getting a spare battery to carry just in case.

Do you think the bigger battery is better then 2 of the smaller batteries? Switching would be a pain if you are flat out racing. This is not an issue for me as I only go in events to finish the challenge.

The X2 or brighter would better for the wide beam lens.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Don't think restrictions will lift? I'm a maybe as I've got a kid due any minute.

FWIW committing to Solo is the same as pairs.

You'll want to really know your run times and have battery swaps dialled.
My money is on the restrictions getting worse before they get better. Plus all the change in income has delayed all the plans I had. These lights are a product of an unexpected event. As of right now I don't have enough run time, but having a local distributor means I can get batteries independent of light sets.

moorey

call me Mia
Do you run yours on high? You got lucky Moorey! My mates and I have a few pairs between us and get a couple of hours out of them. Don't get me wrong, for the price they're a bloody bargain, but we have never got the runtimes they claim. I found mine would drop back from high to med if they got too hot too...
High on descents, low on climbs or fire roads.
Like any battery, heat is the enemy. Keep it cooler for longer run.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
High on descents, low on climbs or fire roads.
Like any battery, heat is the enemy. Keep it cooler for longer run.
Exactly. That's the tradeoff. For $30 you can't complain as long as you are happy to do lots of toggling between modes

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I am interested to hear about your set up once you get it going.

For 24 hr races I guess you need more powerful lights for tired eyes and to blind your competitors :)

I have the Alphas on the bar with the wide beam and the spot on the helmet. Both running the smaller batteries.
I climb in the low setting to save juice for the descent, so I can get a 3 hr ride in no problem with plenty of light on a solo rode.

I am thinking if getting a spare battery to carry just in case.

Do you think the bigger battery is better then 2 of the smaller batteries? Switching would be a pain if you are flat out racing. This is not an issue for me as I only go in events to finish the challenge.

The X2 or brighter would better for the wide beam lens.
I haven't had the experience yet but I don't think swapping batteries will be too much of a headache. Just need the runtime to get thru the night.

The other half of my equation is I commute with them. I'll probably run the Alphas on the bar with the bigger battery so I don't have to recharge as often. I should've ordered the bigger battery when I bought the Alphas, but it wasn't an official option so I didn't think about it.